Hubby Bought Me An Airbrush- Help Me Use This..

Decorating By chellescountrycakes Updated 4 Jul 2010 , 5:41am by chellescountrycakes

chellescountrycakes Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 6:00am
post #1 of 7

okay, after working until 3am last night on the tartan from hell cake I was woke up this morning by hubby who said "call around, find an airbrush and go get it, I'll help you and go into work late"- so I found one, paid an awful amount of money for it- (VERY small town, no real 'shopping') I never wanted an airbrush- I had hoped I could get away with out it. LOL

Ifinally managed to make a crappy peice of tartan, after he did it 3 times, and I did it another 8.

My kids were so tired of making fondant, they wouldnt even eat the last few messups... and for them, thats unheard of!

Luckily, although the cake was due today, its not needed until tomorrow, so I am meeting her in the morning. Its a good friend, so she was good with that.

Plus, all she wanted was a sheet cake, white fondant (OMG thats SOOO hard to do), and the tartan scarf draped across.

I found the family crest, and the 'badges' they used- made the crest, made the oak leafs, crowberry's and pine needles and put them all on a semi 'stacked' cake- (two 10X10's side by side, with 2 10X10's stacked in the middle) and I made a few swags to put on it. and then I took the tartan I made, kinda balled it up and it will go on the side.

I worked with the airbrush quite a bit doing it - when I wasnt trying to make stencils... YUCK)- but want to know if y'all have any tips or tricks? how did you get good with yours? I know, practice, practice, practice-

I dont plan to use this on every cake- I dont like the look that much- too walmarty to me for it to be airbrushed instead of colored, but it does have its place-

and if I have some extra 'paint' mixed up, (vodka and wilton gel) can I store it in an airtight container? and if so, for how long?

6 replies
tesso Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 6:12am
post #2 of 7

sorry you had a rough time. and glad it worked out for you.

about the airbrush.. it will become addictive!! I suggest investing in some amerimist made for airbrushes. You really run the risk of clogging the needle with the vodka and wilton color. (yes it can be done that way..but the risk is high, because to get it thin enough you will get that splotchy look and have to do a few coats)... but back to your question. you can make it up and store it in the fridge, cabinet, or freezer for quite a while. also where is the pic of the cake.. I want to see your tartan.. what colors was it? I love the tartan look.

chellescountrycakes Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 7

oh tesso- You DONT want to see this tartan! LOL I'll Try to get the those colors, and I'll upload the pics in a little while, my kid was bit by a snake, so I'm dealing with that right now.

tesso Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 4:02am
post #4 of 7

i hope it wasnt a poisonous snake. hope your baby is alright.

still want to see the tartan.. icon_biggrin.gif and I LOVE your tag line !!

chellescountrycakes Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 4:43am
post #5 of 7

LOL Tesso, in my house, we dont do things half way- not only was it a poisonious snake, it was the MOST poisonous snake in Texas- LOL But we are pretty sure that it didnt inject any poison in- and it didnt get a good grip- it was a coral snake, and they have to 'chew' on you. This one struck and came aloose. But it was a carbon based error. No matter how many times we've told them NOT to catch everything under the sun, they do.. so my tag line is SOOO true. LOL

I posted pics of it in this forum. icon_smile.gif I'll be uploading them to my albulm soon- I am waiting around a few more hours to make sure that we are out of the woods.

I saw your 'location' earlier- Guess I'm gonna have to study your pics and see what all I can learn. LOL are the amerimist colors avalible most online places? I'll have to start researching and find me a good price on them, cause I will need alot of practice! LOL I'm not sure I got a great airbrush- Its a passche? or some such- a dual action?? anyway, I did have a compressor already, so I could run it with no problem. Hubby might end up buying me my own though if I have his tied up too much. LOL

Jaimelt76 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 4:56am
post #6 of 7

I spray all my fondant covered cakes with vodka to remove the powder sugar and cornstarch. I also use it to spray luster dust mixed with vodka. You will come to love your airbrush.

I hope your child is ok.

chellescountrycakes Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 5:41am
post #7 of 7

Jamielt, thank you, icon_smile.gif I am pretty sure he will be fine. He is doing okay, and we are past the 12 hour window which is as long as it takes for symptoms to occur. icon_smile.gif

Thank you for telling me that! I was going to ask about luster dust in it. That helps me alot- and spraying the cakes with vodka to 'clean them up' is a great idea too.

I might have to ask for a mini compressor though- I'll get tired of that stupid orange cord ran through the window constantly. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%