Indydebi's Buttercream- I Need Reassurance

Decorating By Thanksharla Updated 5 Jul 2010 , 5:48am by deMuralist

Thanksharla Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:41am
post #1 of 13

I am making a cake for our 4th of July party this weekend. I am using Indydebi's buttercream with fondant roses and star accents.

My husband keeps saying that because the recipe has crisco in it the buttercream is going to melt. Someone please tell me that he is wrong.

It is going to be 83 and humid

12 replies
Aeropanda Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:56am
post #2 of 13

That recipe is very stable, but, as with ANY BC, you need to try to keep it cool as long as possible. Will you be able to keep it indoors until the last little bit? Or is the party gonna be at a public location for several hours? I ask, because some of my friends have their 4th parties at a park near a lake, while my family has a celebration at our home. It could make a difference.

Aeropanda Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:58am
post #3 of 13

Oh. I forgot to say it. He is soooo wrong! If that helps any!?!

Thanksharla Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:28am
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeropanda

That recipe is very stable, but, as with ANY BC, you need to try to keep it cool as long as possible. Will you be able to keep it indoors until the last little bit? Or is the party gonna be at a public location for several hours? I ask, because some of my friends have their 4th parties at a park near a lake, while my family has a celebration at our home. It could make a difference.

It is at our house. However, our AC broke and won't be fixed until Tuesday. So it is warm in our house. I will keep it in the kitchen so it won't be in direct sunlight.

BlakesCakes Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:35am
post #5 of 13

Shortening, especially high ratio shortening, has a higher melting point than butter................so what would he like you to use in your "buttercream"????

Rae

Texas_Rose Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:36am
post #6 of 13

Indy's recipe is a lot less likely to melt than buttercream with butter in it. Keep it away from steamy things...for example, use the vent hood fan when you're boiling water and don't run the dishwasher while the cake is sitting on the counter near it.

Summer before last I was living in an apartment with a broken AC...the coolest it ever got was about 85 degrees...and as long as i ran a dehumidifier, Indy's BC did fine, and so did fondant. When I wasn't using the dehumidifier, the fondant would start to melt.

Thanksharla Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:51am
post #7 of 13

I was going to stack, fill and frost the cake tomorrow (Saturday) but might wait until Sunday morning. What do you think?

Karen421 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:55am
post #8 of 13

He's wrong, It's been in the 100's here and Indydebi's is the only buttercream recipe I use!!! It holds up great!!! Now - I haven't left it outside for any longer than 30 minutes. (It was 103) but it didn't melt, & the Wilton fondant didn't melt. thumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 5:55am
post #9 of 13

Oh my 83 and humid would be like a cold front coming through for us. icon_lol.gif It's been 100 degrees + here for about 3 weeks or more. With 98% humidity being about the lowest. I would be thrilled for it to be 83.

Your icing will be fine. I delivered a cake two weeks ago to an outdoor event that I iced with Indydebi's buttercream. It was a three tiered birthday cake. The cake sat outdoors from 2 PM until 4:30 PM before it was cut and it didn't melt at all. It looked just as good when it was cut as it did when it was delivered. Of course it sat under a pavilion and not in the direct sunlight but it was still 100 degrees and the humidity was about 98% that day. Anyway...yes...your husband IS wrong. icon_lol.gif

LindaF144a Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:54pm
post #10 of 13

My husband is the computer expert. When I need something done I give it to him and don't question what he is doing.

I am the cake expert (okay kitchen expert. Hubby doesn't boil water even). The minute he questions my work in the kitchen I remind him that I am the kitchen expert, he is the computer expert.

Unless your hubby has had tons of experience with Crisco, then what does he know! icon_biggrin.gif And you should tell him that too! icon_biggrin.gif

All said in a humoristic tone in case it did not come across that way.

indydebi Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 8:51pm
post #11 of 13

All I can see is that he is wrong. Dead. Wrong.

After closing the shop, I told my hubby that I should have offered a money-back guarantee that my cake icing would hold up in any temperature. I am 1000% confident I NEVER would have had to refund any money! thumbs_up.gif

msthang1224 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 5:34am
post #12 of 13

Hey indydeb, I hear such rave reviews about your icing. I just posted a question about my custom wanting cream cheese buttercream icing for his red velvet cake. Only one problem, the party is a BEACH PARTY! How would I turn yr recipe into a cream chesse bc and will it be ok at a beach party under a tent? TIA

deMuralist Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 5:48am
post #13 of 13

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6869486-.html#6869486

first post on the 4th page is mamawrobin's version of indydebi's cream cheese buttercream. Have not had a chance to try it yet, but I can't wait.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%