post #1 of 36

Is called to order.

Who's up?
Whatcha workin' on?

35 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:32am
post #2 of 36

I have no cakes this week. Not a single one.

Sooooo, I was forced to complete my taxes... booooooo

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:41am
post #3 of 36

Me, either. I made two cakes last night and delivered them today. Yahoo!

I did, however, kick my 50 lb. box of Sweetex and break my toe. I've broken quite a few toes, so I thought, "Okay, I can work around that." Then I put coconut into the oven to "lightly brown", and learned that 7 minutes is apparently too long. I was nearly blinded by the cloud of smoke that rolled out of the oven when I opened it; it's a wonder the smoke alarms didn't go off. I had a pan of incinerated coconut. My cookie sheet may never be the same.

On the bright side, both cakes turned out great, and I'm free for the weekend. Of course, I can't seem to help myself from baking something, and I think I may try making French macaroons. They look tasty.

leah_s Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:43am
post #4 of 36

Ruth, I've incinerated so much coconut over the years. It goes from almost golden to ashes in a nanosecond. Now I do it in a dry skillet on top of the stove where I have to see it.

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:46am
post #5 of 36

OFF for the 4th! No cakes this weekend it is always slow...infact most bakeries around here just close for the week of the 4th as it is so slow and an easy time to take off. I had one last minute phone call where they left a message wanting an "simple fish cake" (3D) LOL...and I thought uh, huh one of those people we've all been talking about lately here on CC. Nah, lady I'm chillin' this weekend!!!!

Aeropanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aeropanda Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:49am
post #6 of 36

I finished two cakes today, and will try to complete two more by Monday. I have a basketball and a purse. They'll both be really small, but I have found that the one's I think will take the least amount of time, seem to have a way of stealing my sanity! Funny how that works. BTW Leah, I plan on investing in SPS for my next tiered cake. I've never used it before, but after reading your posts, I'm convinced!

leah_s Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:51am
post #7 of 36

I always get nervous when someone uses the words "invest" and "SPS" in the same sentence. SPS is cheap, cheap, cheap! And disposable. Not really an investment, like, say a couple of sets of Magic Line pans.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:56am
post #8 of 36

I am working on reevaluating my pricing for cakes and a business plan and ugggh!!! I have always liked math but trying to work different scenarios for volume is making me dizzy. Then again I have the tendency to make things complicated when in fact they aren't.

Katiebelle74 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:59am
post #9 of 36

What does it actually come out to costing with shipping etc.. for say a 6", 8", 10" cake? Can you use a center column through the whole stacked cake when you use SPS? I looked at the thread of how to use it but I'm still not getting what is supposed to really make it stable? The only plastic support system I ever used was wilton and those are a nightmare as far as I'm concerned.

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:59am
post #10 of 36

Nothing here either. But I've got three for next week that I need to start working on tomorrow; a carved car cake, a simple birthday, and a three tiered birthday with a modeling chocolate figure. Oh yeah and a set of cupcakes with fondant decorations. So four I guess. Dang, good thing I made modeling chocolate this afternoon.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:00am
post #11 of 36

I had a groom's cake and wedding cake for tomorrow which I finished earlier today. Even got to see Eclipse and go to dinner with my best friend today.

Aeropanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aeropanda Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:04am
post #12 of 36

I see your point. Should learn to re-frame my perspective. I'm still very new and most things that I haven't tried for myself, I still think of as an investment. I'll try to change my way of thinking on that one.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:04am
post #13 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiebelle74

What does it actually come out to costing with shipping etc.. for say a 6", 8", 10" cake? Can you use a center column through the whole stacked cake when you use SPS? I looked at the thread of how to use it but I'm still not getting what is supposed to really make it stable? The only plastic support system I ever used was wilton and those are a nightmare as far as I'm concerned.

there is no need for a center dowel. I have used the sps before for a 3 tier cake and had to go through some hills to deliver it and it never budged! I am so sold on it. I thought at first the same thing but leah_s says that the center dowel rod is a false sense of security.

leah_s Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:05am
post #14 of 36

You can not use a center dowel with SPS and there's no need for one Absolutely no need. The W plastic dowels are wonky and only loosely "fit" the plates. SPS legs fit securely into the plates. Put a smear of RI, bc, piping gel or corn syrup on the SPS plate, the plate peg grabs the cardboard and it's all quite secure.

You can't turn it upside down, but like I said in another thread, when a customer comes to pick up a three tier cake, I put my hand under the bottom board of the cake and hold it up at an angle of maybe 30 degrees. Once their heart starts again, they understand how secure it is.

For a 6/8/10 cake, you'd buy 1, 6" plate and 1, 8" plate and one bag of legs. You'll have legs left over. Check Oasis Supply for pricing.

leah_s Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:08am
post #15 of 36

Oasis listed these prices:
6" round white plate, $1.56
8" round white plate, $2.22

1 bag of 4" legs, $4.95

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:13am
post #16 of 36

Working on wedding cakes #4 & #5 of five for this weekend. Just finished putting the fondant on. Designs are pretty simple (thank God) because I'm getting tired after all week. I'll get them stacked before I go to bed and then decorate in the morning. One is ribbon border with swiss dots and the other is plain with criss-cross ribbon. Can't wait til tomorrow afternoon when they are delivered. Then it starts all over again! icon_rolleyes.gif

leah_s Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:18am
post #17 of 36

Ah, Classy. This isn't a holiday weekend in Canada like it is here in the US!!

Katiebelle74 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:19am
post #18 of 36

How bad do they soak you on the shipping? I looked at the web-site but they won't quote you shipping until AFTER you put in a CC# and confirm shipping.

leah_s Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:29am
post #19 of 36

I buy enough that I buy direct from the manufacturer. Someone else is gonna have to answer about Oasis, but I don't remember reading any particular complaints.

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:47am
post #20 of 36

Waiting on some bc to crust. I had to patch the bottom part of the frosting that stuck to the cake circle when I transferred it to my first time ever fondant cakeboard. I was too paranoid to do any actual work on the cakeboard, so I did everything except the border. Once it crusts a little, I can smooth it and work on those dalmatian spots (see separate thread).

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:58am
post #21 of 36

No cakes here either! Yeah, I was ready for a break! Seems like June was crazy but July slows down.

Oasis is local for me here! But they're great, so just put a call in and find out about their shipping policies to Canada or whatever...they are a pretty big supplier but they run it sorta like a "mom and pop" place which means you get good service.

xanikesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xanikesmom Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:58am
post #22 of 36

I have a huge wedding order that I'm working on. Wedding cake, 2 Sheet Cakes, and a Groom's Cake. Plus had a purse cake and matching sheetcake that was picked up today. Then, my husband begged and pleaded for me to make a 4th of July cake for him to take to work to share with those who have to work on the 4th (he's a police officer) ... of course how could I say no to that. That's a grand total of 7 for this hobby baker ... all due by noon tomorrow. It's a good thing the wedding is for a good friend because I will never do this again!

This is my first wedding cake ... so far so good. She picked the Cherry Blossom branch design for the wedding cake and a golf design for the Groom's Cake. I was up until 3 am last night and tonight will be another late night! I work full time as a social worker, so I guess it is a matter of managing my cake time better!

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:15am
post #23 of 36

Working on a carved Paratrooper Pin for tomorrow around noon. About to Ice and decorate.

Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:22am
post #24 of 36

Hello everyone. Happy Friday night, or for me now, the very wee hours of Saturday. icon_smile.gif

As for my cakes, I've got an 80th birthday cake for tomorrow (Saturday). 1/2 sheet cake with a lighthouse theme. Got everything baked off yesterday as I was too busy the earlier part of the week repainting my bedroom. Today I made an RKT lighthouse and cottage. I'm very pleased with how they came out. Tomorrow just have to assemble and deliver, or perhaps deliver and assemble is more appropriate terminology. Also prepping for July 4th festivities (brownies and cookies), so lots of multitasking this week. Next weekend is a 3-tier high school graduation cake in a purple/daisy theme. And then I get a break, unless something pops up, which I hope it does.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend!! Gnight!

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:29am
post #25 of 36

I just got done crying! I am making my daughter's 3rd birthday cake and it looks like total cr@p!!!!

I have no clue what went wrong - in fact, I've never had these problems before!
*Buttercream wouldn't crust (thank you Hurricane Alex for the rain & humidity)
*Lumps and bumps in the cake?!
*All around ugliness!

I'm usually really good about smoothing icing so I'm really upset that I couldn't do it for my own daughter!

So, I did my best, put on some pink disco dust on top and covered it with lots of fondant cut-outs to cover the horrid icing job.

Luckily my husband made the most amazing fondant figures - Abby Cadabby and all her friends. Hopefully it tastes great...........

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:52am
post #26 of 36

Well my customers did NOT get the memo that orders are suppose to be slow in July and/or the 4th!! LOL!

I have decorated 6 cakes between last night and tonight with one of them being 3 half sheets side by side.

Mollina (my new assistant icon_smile.gif) was here helping the whole way. She baked off 8 dozen cuppies tonight; figured out the stripe the bag technique and iced the cutest red/white/blue cuppies! Plus she helped smooth icing and had already made a ton of flowers for the cakes this week.

Did I mention that Mollina can roll fondant like nobody's business! She is quick with it and it is so smooth and evenly rolled!

We have made the deal that I will keep caking for 5 more years and then when she graduates college - the business is hers! Oh - I hope I can hold out that long!!

On another note - I had a new customer call this week and wanted to order a cake 'because she can't get it out of her mind how good the cake tasted at a wedding shower that I made the cake for!' So no occasion, no reason - she just wants cake!

And on a really sad note - I did a 3 tier anniversary cake for a customer last weekend. It was for her sister's wedding anniversary and they wanted to have a big family celebration for the sister because she is always the one doing for others and because her husband has been very ill and not in good health. I found out today that the anniversary lady died of a massive heart attack yesterday at the age of 54! I am crushed by this. I talked to some of the family and they were devastated - but so glad that they celebrated with her.

This is truly one of those times when we all should realize to not wait until tomorrow . . . . . .

Good night everyone - I'm heading to bed!

Suze

Katiebelle74 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 5:09am
post #27 of 36

korensmommy sorry your having a tough time.... Thank god she's three and not thirteen I am sure she will love her cake regardless!!!!

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 5:16am
post #28 of 36

It's late here good old canada and our holiday was thursday ( canada day). Not that I had the day off, oh well. But the good news is that I have only a birthday cake for my daughter on sunday. Wow, she's going to be 27, where does the time go. I'm a fan of sps, and I make a trip to buffalo NY once a week and do a little cake shopping while the kids do the mall. I make a list like a kid at christmas time, and get all giddy and excited. I'm trying to get hubby to give me his home office for more cake storage. icon_smile.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 5:33am
post #29 of 36

No cake for me tonight. I am trying to decide what to do with white chocolate, strawberries, and heavy cream for tomorrow, though.

Took the day off and took the college chicklet to the mall where we overspent on clearance and then went to see Toy Story 3 at the drive-in movies. Interestingly, we left and didn't watch Eclipse because even though she's read all the books, she has no interest in the movies.

Leah- I read the whole SPS thread last night. While reading, I realized that a wedding I catered for a friend about 4 or so years ago probably used SPS for the cake. I remember the MOH coming to me in a panic because the top tier needed placed and they were too chicken to do it. I got over there and was confused because the plastic plate had a thingy on it so the cardboard under the cake wouldn't sit flat. I grabbed a knife, carved a little hole in the cardboard, and placed the top tier with a grateful sigh that it worked. This was before caking for me and I had never stacked a cake in my life. Has SPS been around that long or was it some other system?

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 5:38am
post #30 of 36

Hi everyone...just got in from the kitchen..pushing it late tonight on a 3D music/jewelry box cake. Cakes are baked, torted and wrapped and in the freezer, embellishments painted, pearls made, fondant made, my first batch of Indydebi's buttercream (YUM...brought some home for the kid to try and my dh, who doesn't care for icing, went back for seconds of straight icing! Amazing!)...all ready for tomorrow when I'll assemble everything and handpaint the wood for the box. So a few more hours of work to go. This isn't due till Sunday morning so tomorrow really isn't a rush situation....just wanted to get as much done as I possibly could today to make tomorrow faster so while the cakes were cooking/cooling I used the time to finish all the piece work and buttercream. Thanx to whoever said to just start the buttercream and let it run! LOL! Worked wonderfully!

Hope those of you who have the weekend off enjoy the time!

Happy 4th!

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%