How Do I Cover The Glue?

Decorating By KayMc Updated 3 Jul 2010 , 3:50am by KayMc

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 1:36am
post #1 of 8

I am in the process of making a gumpaste baseball cap for the top of a cake. I have a fair amount of gumpaste glue on the surface of the cap. icon_cry.gif How can I cover this? If I paint the cap tomorrow with petal dust, will that cover it? Since it's for a little boy, I don't want to put anything glittery or shimmery on the cap. Please, I'm hoping I didn't ruin this. I don't feel like starting over.

7 replies
KayMc Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:06am
post #2 of 8

Anyone? I'm desperate for advice!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:14am
post #3 of 8

Try rubbing a bit of PS on a spot. I know it removes the shine from a lot of things.

KayMc Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:30am
post #4 of 8

I'm sorry - I should have mentioned that it's a medium blue cap, so I don't think I can use PS on it.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:47am
post #5 of 8

You could try a little alcohal on the glue spots..... I think dusting might make them show up more icon_sad.gif Can you overlay them with something?

Wish I could help more...

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:49am
post #6 of 8

if all else fails...cover it with something in your theme...like a star, wish I could see it.

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:01am
post #7 of 8

What if you lightly steam it? That seems to make my gp and fondant pieces look more even; whether its removing powdered sugar or shiny parts where my glue shows.

KayMc Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:50am
post #8 of 8

There was initially glue residual along both seams that I made in the head area of the cap. However, as it's drying, it seems to be disappearing. I'll keep praying it's gone by morning!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%