Goodbye Satin Ice

Decorating By BosCakes Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 3:39pm by Kitty_Kakes

missyd4e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyd4e Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 11:08pm
post #31 of 52

I used to love Satin Ice. But the last 2 cakes I have made I get the "elephant skin". Thought is was me but now I am wondering if it is the Satin Ice!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 12:50am
post #32 of 52

There was another thread just recently about someone else having problems with SI and the rep posted on here and said they had an equipment problem that effected a small batch of the fondant.

At this point, I'd say their problem is a much bigger than they realize or want to admit. But I'm in the not using it anymore camp, too.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 1:19am
post #33 of 52

So the elephant skin wasn't just me!!! That is good to know. Too bad I just got a HUGE bucket of it.

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 1:19am
post #34 of 52

I use to think it was me when I used SI. The last couple of cakes I did using it was a nightmare, thought "OMG I need to take a refresher course on fondant". Then I saw that last thread on SI and decided to experiment with a few. There is one company were I live that has their own fondant and I must say it's my new love. Tastes great, and goes on with such ease. I used what SI I had left for little things, like cookies and cuppies. icon_smile.gif

BosCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BosCakes Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 1:44am
post #35 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

There was another thread just recently about someone else having problems with SI and the rep posted on here and said they had an equipment problem that effected a small batch of the fondant.

At this point, I'd say their problem is a much bigger than they realize or want to admit. But I'm in the not using it anymore camp, too.

I guess it depends on their definition of "small" batch! Look on the bright side, Satin Ice, at least your ratings aren't quite as low as BP's!!

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 2:08am
post #36 of 52

Just made a b-day cake, with my new bucket of Satin Ice, well same problem as you gals! I thought, why is this so dry, tried everything too, and had the same elephant skin problem. Thinking it was me, glad to hear it wasn't!

Linda5606 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linda5606 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 2:12am
post #37 of 52

oh my goodness. i was using satin ice last nite to cover a wedding cake. we had trouble last time we used it, but thought we'd give it one more shot (mostly because i didn't want to color the fondx that i usually use). we ended up ripping the S.I. off the two cakes we covered and used fondx. there were some very strong words from dh. he also pledged that S.I. is CRAP and we aren't using to cover anymore cakes. i agree. i received a sample of massa today and i'm going to look into that, fondarific or stick to fondx.

everything i hear is that fondarific and massa are price comparable to fondx if you use it as thin as they say you can. i hope to get some time to play before our next fondant cake
would love to hear others experiences with those two (massa and fondarific)
linda

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 2:19am
post #38 of 52

Interesting! I've always used Pettinice, which tastes good and handles well. But I decided to try the new Satin Ice buttercream flavored stuff -- I had never used Satin Ice before. I don't think it tastes like buttercream -- it tastes like fondant to me -- but I thought it handled really well. It sets up very smooth and seems a little more forgiving on uneven surfaces than the Pettinice, which I use pretty thin. I wonder if Satin Ice is moving toward the new product and losing quality control with the old line.

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 2:21am
post #39 of 52

Hi,
Just wondering if any of you know if/where you can buy Massa is Canada?
thanks,
Jodi

BaBa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BaBa Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 3:21am
post #40 of 52

I have tried the Massa, wasn't thrilled with the taste, seemed a bit difficult to work with. We carry both the fodariffic and pettinice in the store and I must say that the fondariffic flies out the door, we have had problems keeping it in stock. We also do well with the pettinice, easy to work with but you have to use three times as much as you do of the fondariffic. I don't think the fondariffic can be beat. Quoted an amount needed for a cake the other day to a customer: pettinice would have taken 8 lbs. fondariffic 2 lbs. Big difference, well worth the cost.

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 3:50am
post #41 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdiabetes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

Wilton tastes pretty good now! And I agree that has changed, and not for the better.

I've never gotten to cooperate with me. I too like Fondarific but ouch, it gets expensive sometimes. Especially since I don't charge for cakes and have to get it shipped to me.

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but was wondering: Sharon, what brand of fondant are you using in the Flawless Fondant DVD? I just watched that this morning and was curious. Thanks!

I think it was , might have been Pettinice, but that was filmed 2 years ago.... would not use it now....

What do you use now Sharon??

annabanana183 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annabanana183 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 3:56am
post #42 of 52

I have a20 lbs tub of satin ice thats just useless icon_cry.gif I am switching to fondarific .

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 3:59am
post #43 of 52

By the way, I can't stand Satin Ice either!! Makes me feel like a failure everytime I use it! I prefer MMF and am looking forward to trying Duff's because I can get black and red and use a Michael's coupon! It's local and will price out great with the coupon!!!! No more Satin Ice...ever!!!!

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:19am
post #44 of 52

for any of you weeding out your last bits of SI, mix it with another brand (I used Wilton) and it's ok!
I have always had issues w/elephant skin using SI, but have worked around it as I usually just use fondant for accent pieces.
I really like Wilton for accent pieces as it dries firm & no elephant skin!

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:38am
post #45 of 52

I am also totally impressed by Wilton's fondant now - not only tastes decent but very easy to work with and SOOOO much better for making fondant figurines with. For covering a cake though - I seem to get the best results by mixing half Wilton and half mmf (mmf seems to make it stretchier so it doesn't break as easily as with 100% Wilton fondant)

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 6:06am
post #46 of 52

I've recently had great success with Wilton, and the flavor is just as good as SI (imho). For workability, I can't find anything that compare to wilton, it's so easy. Though I'm not an experienced pro or anything.

I bought red Duff fondant but haven't used it yet. I'm just excited to be able to get precolored fondant w/out paying for shipping. With my coupon, it was about $15 for two lbs., not too bad. I'm going to buy the black next.

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 6:20am
post #47 of 52

I have heard a roumor that satin ice is going to be sold in the super markets now. Perhaps thats why everything is taking a down ward turn. Things usually do when they hit the open market.... has onyone seen it there?

BosCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BosCakes Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 3:57pm
post #48 of 52

I would have thought Wilton would be the first fondant to be in grocery stores, if any brand at all...

Dare I say this...It seems like Satin Ice is not only lowering the quality of their product to increase profit, but now putting themselves on grocery store shelves? Really?

I drove 15 minutes to Michael's for Wilton fondant when my cake supply store is a 2 minute walk away. Have pigs started to fly?

Good tip, though, cutting the leftover SI with Wilton to not mark it as a total loss. Will do that for sure.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:15pm
post #49 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiebelle74

I love Massa but it is pricey. However it tastes great and works like a charm.

Ahhh, the Rolls Royce of fondants..lol icon_lol.gif

Edna icon_smile.gif

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:51am
post #50 of 52

With all these complaints, has anyone heard from Satin Ice? I know some of the suppliers watch this site. I think they should explain whats going on with their product, for the sake of there business.

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:14am
post #51 of 52

I wonder if any of the people endorsing the SI product will continue to do so. If you look on their website it is quite the list. Buddy from Cake Boss says he orders 150 pounds of SI at a time and that he has been using it for 20 years.

Kitty_Kakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitty_Kakes Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:39pm
post #52 of 52

I love MMF. So easy to make, colors well, not expensive, plyable and easy to work with and tasts great if you like marshmellow cream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%