Mmf Questions

Decorating By CiaraRae Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 10:54pm by CiaraRae

CiaraRae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiaraRae Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 10:14pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone!

I'm making my cake for my graduation party next week and am currently trying to decide how much MMF to use.

It will be a 2 tier cake, 8" on bottom and 6" on top. The bottom will be covered in royal blue fondant with black and silver cut out diamond fondant pieces. The top will be covered in black fondant (which I will make a batch of chocolate MMF for - I tried coloring Wilton fondant black once and I'll never do it again), and decorated in blue and silver fondant circles. I will have 4 larger fondant stars on wires, each with a respective digit of "2010," also thinly cut out of fondant. The bottoms of both layers will be decorated with pearl-like balls of alternating blue, black, and silver. Finally, there will be a few smaller stars on wire throughout the cake, I would say no more than 10, and that's if I go crazy.

I was planning on using bunnywoman's MMF recipe for a large batch, but I have no idea how much that yields. Should I do a batch of regular MMF and color it blue while I make it, do a black/chocolate batch, and then a small batch of white to paint with silver luster dust?

I have to get this MMF right, or my mom is going to go buy a cake from Meijer. >.< I can't use Wilton fondant because my mom (and everyone else, really) hates its taste. Any tips would be sincerely and truthfully appreciated!

-Ciara

2 replies
DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 3

I usually roll my fondant on the thinner side. My recipe calls for 1 10oz bag of marshmallows and would yield more than enough to cover an 8 inch and make the decorations. Sorry, i didn't check the recipe you'll be using, but if it calls for 10oz of marshmallows or more, I think you'll be quite safe. Just a thought also, if you prefer to buy pre-made, get a coupon from the Michael's website and get a bucket of Duff's - it tastes great!

Royal Blue requires a fair amount of colouring, so colouring it while it's in the melted marshmallow stage is better for the texture. Maybe making that extra small batch of white would be a good idea (sometimes i cheat and remove a few spoonfuls of the melted mixture into a plastic bowl, so I have some white on hand).

CiaraRae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiaraRae Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 3

Perfect! Just what I needed to know. Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%