Double Layer Picnic Basket Cake - Due 7/3 At 9Am !!!

Decorating By slsharratt Updated 3 Jul 2010 , 1:45pm by Doug

slsharratt Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 3

I want to make a picnic basket (9x13) using a layer of chocolate cake and a layer of yellow cake, so I will be stacking 2 9x13 cakes. Should I use a cake board between the two? I'm not planning on torting and filling them, just frosting between, or could i torte and fill with pudding - darn it!.

so now there are 3 questions - can I torte and fill?
will I need a cake board and supports?
if i use a cake board how do i make sure the bottom layer has icing on top and doesn't come off with the board?

2 replies
carlee521 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 7:35am
post #2 of 3

You don't need a cake board between them...but you will need a super duty bottom board.

I made a 9x13 2 layer carrot cake for father's day and only had one 13x19 board left and I had a cardboard box. I cut the cardboard box to the same width and length x cardboard..1 cake board...I duct taped the 2 card boards together wrapped in foil...then I duct taped the cake board to covered cardboard and foiled them all together...I wasn't sure how food safe a brand new cardboard box was...but it was just for family.

I don't have any pointers about filling...especially with pudding. I used a recipe here and it worked out great.

You can torte and fill it...but you will need to let it rest/mellow...or you will risk the filling bulging out the sides due to the weight of the cake...which by the way 9x13 2 layers is a pretty hefty cake...mine traveled for an hour..with my dad stomping on the gas pedal every chance he got :/

I totally forgot to even put down butter cream frosting to hold it in place...but it sliding at all. To get the frosting on the "top" as you put some icing on the foil covered board...then stick cake on it..and proceed to ice it.

I had my top layer crack down the middle when putting it on the second layer because I wasn't expecting it to be so heavy...but I smashed it back together and it was A'Ok.

Hope that helps...(PS..i'm not a professional baker..I didn't even know about letting a cake rest..until 4 days reading this forum.)

Doug Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 3

ditto to about above no support inside but a good strong board underneath.

YES, you can tort and fill (a big, flat, no-edge cookie sheet dusted with PS makes it easy to remove and replace top cut layer.)

You are in essence creating a single tier cake that just happens to be 9x13.

Every thing is the same as with any tier cake except the size.

Quote by @%username% on %date%