In Your Opinion Did I Over/under-Charge?

Decorating By multilayered Updated 3 Jul 2010 , 12:36pm by multilayered

multilayered Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 15

for this cake? First I will tell a bit about my area I am in Long Island NY and the Cake Shops nearby charge very high prices, however I have VERY low overhead ( I barter with a friend for use of her commercial kitchen) With that being said I charged $225 for this cake did I charge to much too little or was I right on the money? Also what would have you charged? Thanks so muchicon_smile.gif
LL

14 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 15

Are the cake sizes 10 and 8?? If so I would have charged $5.00 per serving for fondant The wilton chart shows it feeds 62.so I would have charged at least $310.00 or more.

indydebi Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 5:49pm
post #3 of 15

It looks like a 6/8" tiered cake. what are the sizes? Most of us charge by the serving, so we'd have to know the size to know what the price might be.

You will most likely get a wide variety of pricing, but you also have to factor your costs in your area.

leah_s Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 15

Yes, sizes please.

multilayered Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 15

Yes...sorry 8" and 10"

CBMom Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 6:38pm
post #6 of 15

What kind of cake and filling?

...beautiful job!! icon_smile.gif

multilayered Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 6:46pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMom

What kind of cake and filling?

...beautiful job!! icon_smile.gif

Thank youicon_smile.gif Just "normal" flavors top was devils food with van bc and vanilla cake with chocolate ganache bc

sweettreat101 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 7:47pm
post #8 of 15

I think you did good. Out here on the west coast people won't pay that much for a birthday cake. They even haggle on prices for wedding cakes.

DeeDelightful Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 7:52pm
post #9 of 15

Beautiful Cake! You charged a little under $5 per serving. Not bad, I guess, but I don't know what cakes like that go for in the NY area.

Rosey1120 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 8:03pm
post #10 of 15

Beautiful cake. Sorry I can't help with the pricing issue, I'm just a hobby baker from Sayville, Long Island. Where are you located?

dawncr Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 12:01am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDelightful

Beautiful Cake! You charged a little under $5 per serving. Not bad, I guess, but I don't know what cakes like that go for in the NY area.

I'm wondering how you arrived at this estimate. If there are 62 servings, and she charged $225, isn't it $3.63 per serving?

Given your skill level and your market, that seems a tad low.

Lovely cake, BTW

multilayered Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 12:09am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDelightful

I'm wondering how you arrived at this estimate. If there are 62 servings, and she charged $225, isn't it $3.63 per serving?

Given your skill level and your market, that seems a tad low.

Lovely cake, BTW

I thought it may have been a tad low... the problem is I think I feel a certain amount of guilt asking for higher prices since my overhead is negligible. It is my problem and I'm getting a little better, but I still hesitate asking for higher prices. Thanks for all the feedbackicon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:29am
post #13 of 15

It's GORGEOUS!!!! For your area...probably a little bit to low...but my area, they just won't pay it for a birthday. icon_sad.gif

Beautiful work...

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

ElmwoodHero Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:32am
post #14 of 15

I think that the price is fine for the size of cake.

multilayered Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 12:36pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

It's GORGEOUS!!!! For your area...probably a little bit to low...but my area, they just won't pay it for a birthday. icon_sad.gif

Beautiful work...

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

Thank you very much Jennifer icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%