Kitchen Renters! What Do You Pay?

Business By cattycornercakes Updated 6 Jul 2010 , 7:11pm by 3LittleBeesCookies

cattycornercakes Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 15

I have found a kitchen to rent at a local community center. They've never rented their kitchen out so they aren't sure what to charge me. They asked me to come up with a proposal.

Sooo...not to be nosey but...if you rent a kitchen, how much are you paying? Or if you know of kitchens for rent in your area, how much are they going for?

Thanks!!
Renee

14 replies
Younique_designs Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 15

I have been checking on this myself and trying to figure it out. I am in Florida and I found a lady renting space in her bakery for $400 a month. I have also seen where people pay $25/hour! I thought $400 was very reasonable, when compared to that. But, I don't know what sort of time frame that is either. I haven't called her yet. Maybe some more will reply and we can both learn something! lol! thumbs_up.gif

mmdiez10 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 15

I'd love to know the answer to this too.

cattycornercakes Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 15

Well I know of one kitchen in Philly that charges $39 for off peak and $44 for peak (off peak hours being like 10 pm - 6 am and peak hours being daytime). That seemed kinda high to me. $400 a month sounds reasonable. I guess a flat rate scares me in that I have no idea if I'll have enough business to support that amount of rent...but I guess if I don't then I probably shouldn't bother being in business!

When we met last night, we discussed a per hour charge but they'd have a hard time knowing how many hours I'm there. We also discussed a per cake charge. They told me to think about it and come up with a proposal. When I got home last night, I was kicking around maybe like a percentage of sales...although I'm not sure how much. I want to make sure the rent is fair to them as far as covering the extra costs for utilities but also fair to me so that I make some money on the cakes.

Hopefully some other people will chime in with what they pay...maybe no one is home yet icon_smile.gif

tavyheather Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 15

I am looking too......so far I've seen a couple places in San Diego for $20/hr

timhenk Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 4:14pm
post #6 of 15

check out kitchenchicago.com for their rates. But keep in mind that they have stock ingredients on hand for you, and will receive your shipments, etc.

timhenk Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 15

check out kitchenchicago.com for their rates. But keep in mind that they have stock ingredients on hand for you, and will receive your shipments, etc.

catlharper Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 15

Because of how much I use it I get a break. The normal rate is $25 an hour but because I use it more than 12 days a month it's discounted down to $15 an hour. I wish they had a monthly rate!

Cat

brea1026 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:19am
post #9 of 15

I rent from a meal preperation place for $750/month. This includes a $500 rent charge, and $250 for utilities which will be re-assesed at the end of the summer (I am in AZ and the A/C bills are outrageous!)

Good Luck on your new adventure!

thecookieladycc Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:22pm
post #10 of 15

I pay $7 an hr or $45 a day.

cakesdivine Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:20pm
post #11 of 15

I pay $100 to walk in the door and can have the kitchen for 24 hrs of use. If I only use it a few hours then my loss. If I can pull an all day/all nighter then the price is really reasonable. But how often does that actually happen...never...LOL!

cattycornercakes Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:36pm
post #12 of 15

Thanks for all of the replies! Great info!

I'm thinking of proposing to them that I pay a percentage of my sales - ie: 15%. Still working on the numbers....

kneadacookie Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:54pm
post #13 of 15

wow, I guess I'm pretty lucky paying $300 per month. I told them I didn't think it would work for me to pay by the hour, because most of the time I am just sitting there decorating.

tinygoose Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 7:04pm
post #14 of 15

$16 hr evening, $20 peak, other place in town is $25 hr anytime.

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 7:11pm
post #15 of 15

The cheapest I have found in my area is $35 an hour with no minimum. Some places require a certain amount of hours.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%