Gumpaste Honeysuckle

Decorating By ByTheSlice Updated 5 Jul 2010 , 1:56pm by ByTheSlice

ByTheSlice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ByTheSlice Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 3

Hey all! Last year at the OSSAS I purchased a cutter to make gumpaste honeysuckle from Sugar CIty. The only problem is that it didn't come with instructions. I have searched online, but have not been able to find instructions. Can anyone help with this please? Thanks in advance![/b]

2 replies
HaydenSC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HaydenSC Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 3

I don't have the specific cutter you have for honeysuckle. However, I made my own cutter and "made it work".
It is trumpet shaped with a ruffly end on it.
Take a covered wire and make a little hook in one end. The stamen should be folded more than in half. Use hook to pinch the stamen to hold it in place. The ends of the stamen should not be exactly even. Roll out some gumpaste relatively thin and cut with the cutter. Thin the top edge of the flower with a ball tool. Using water, moisten the bottom tube edge of the gumpaste cut out. Place your wire with the pinched stamen into the center of the cut out with the stamens sticking slightly out of the top. Roll the gumpaste around the wire, securing the paste to the wire. Gently pull back the ruffled top edges of the flower to have the look of an open flower.
You are done! I wish I had a photo of one or could take step by step photo directions. That would be so much easier. I hope this helps you.
I originally did the honeysuckle for a cake that a bride found on the cover of a Southern Living Weddings Magazine. Southern Living doesn't even make the magazine any more. It was a popular cake style. It had "fluffy"homestyle frosting with fresh smilax vines and gumpaste huneysuckle between the tiers.

ByTheSlice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ByTheSlice Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you, I will give it another go sometime this week...and if all goes well, I will post pics.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%