Quick Help!!! Making The Cake Now....

Decorating By NolansMom Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 5:14pm by NolansMom

NolansMom Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 8

Hey everyone I need some help.

I am doing a wedding cake, and the 8" tier will be 4 layers inside but I want to split that into 2 seperate 2 layer cakes with a board in between to get more servings. Now I have seen this done before, but haven't tried, usually I just stack 4 layers no problem.

So my question is do I put icing on top of the 2 layer of cake and then the board or do I stack the board and other two layers on bare cake???

I will be covering in fondant afterwards.

THanks everyone!!!

7 replies
leah_s Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 8

Color me confused.

A four layer cake that is two layers torted is still only one tier. Your servings are not increased.

To increase the servings your tier would have to be 8" tall.

A serving is 8 cubic inches of cake. That's either a 2 X 2 X 2 serving or a 1 X 2 x 4 serving.

If your tier is only 2" tall (what you seem to be suggesting, )2, 2" inch tiers stacked, but separated by cardboard) then you'd have to cut the pieces twice as wide to get a serving. therefore your total serving size in the tier is not increased.

Clear as mudcake?

NolansMom Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 8

the cake will be about 7-8" high with fillings and icing. I baked 2 8x3 cakes and torted them to have 4 layers.

So what your saying is that I should just stack the 4 layers with no board separating them and go with crazy tall pieces of cake??? It just seems like it would be easier to fit shorther slices on those tiny dessert plates at weddings..

Iggy Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 8

No Leah, She wants to have four 8" layers. Two & two. She wants to put a cardboard separator in between the 1st & 2nd tiers for more servings. SO she in essence would have two 8" cakes, 8" tall. I would say put bc in between the the cardboard & cakes and make sure you have a dowel that goes all the way down to the bottom of the cake. hth

Iggy Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 8

OK after all that..I guess I misunderstood... So sorry....

leah_s Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 8

No, crazy tall servings of cake are not a good idea.

I just didn't understand what you were asking.

Essentially you're stacking 2 tiers like always, they just happen to be the same size. So, yes from teh bottom up, bottom board, cake, support, cardboard, cake and whatever is above .

KHalstead Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:40pm
post #7 of 8

I would personally cut a sheet of wax paper to stick on top of your bottom cake's icing, after you put in supports, then add the next cake on top w/ its own board....so when it's time to serve you can cut and serve top cake, remove board, peel back wax paper and have completely iced cake ready to serve.

NolansMom Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 5:14pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks you everyone for your help!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%