How Far In Advance Can You Make Fondant Figures

Decorating By barefootsdesign Updated 3 Jul 2010 , 10:14am by hollyml

barefootsdesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barefootsdesign Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making a cake for my daughter's first birthday but we are going on a church beach trip the week before. So I was wondering how far in advance can I make the fondant decorations and melted chocolate decorations. I would like to make them before we leave which is on the 18th but her party isn't till the 31st. is that possible. TIA

5 replies
jennbrownrigg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennbrownrigg Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 6

The fondant figures you definitely can make ahead. Just keep them covered so they don't get 'dusty'. Not sure about the chocolate items though. It may 'bloom' and you'll end up with whitish chocolate. Like I said though, I'm not certain.

EllieA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EllieA Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 6

When you make the fondant figures, make sure that you take some Crisco with the tip of your finger and "cover" the entire figure with it. Then, cover the figure with a film of plastic (Saran Wrap maybe?). The figures will keep for months without cracking! icon_biggrin.gif

EllieA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EllieA Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 6

When you make the fondant figures, make sure that you take some Crisco with the tip of your finger and "cover" the entire figure with it. Then, cover the figure with a film of plastic (Saran Wrap maybe?). The figures will keep for months without cracking! icon_biggrin.gif

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 12:43am
post #5 of 6

I made all the animals in my jungle cake 8-10days before the cake was due. I just put them in a cool, dry room. I wouldn't make anything with chocolate too far in advance.

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 10:14am
post #6 of 6

If by "melted chocolate" you mean candy melts, you can definitely do them that far in advance. Just keep them at a reasonable room temperature and out of the sunlight. I have "leftover" candies made from candy melts in the pantry that have been hanging around for much longer than that, and they look exactly the same as they did when newly made. (Which is a little scary, actually... icon_lol.gif)

If you want to use real chocolate, though, it's more finicky, so I agree it would be best to do that closer to the party date.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%