First Fondant Cake Kicked My Heiny

Decorating By kger Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 8:46am by sweettreat101

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 5:32am
post #1 of 5

I'm exhausted. Just spent 4 hours battling with some fondant. I've worked with fondant before, but not for a full cake. Haven't posted the pic yet, but #1, I have a pink stain on my white fondant from where the red fondant touched it. Is there any way to get this off? tried scraping, and not much happening.
#2, I used red satin ice (sucked) and MFF, which I colored black and green for decorations. Covering the full cake (white MFF) was a PITA, tearing and dryness. I'm so glad I did this practice cake tonight because I have another cake for Sat. that will be BC with black fondant decorations. I had planned to color some homemade fondant, and I had no problem getting the black color tonight, but it just messed with the consistency of the MFF too much. I'm going to go buy some tomorrow.

So, at the end of this battle, my cake was covered with cornstarch. I've read various ways to solve this problem, but I'm curious to know what ppl use for their anti-stick defense. PS? Shortening? Cornstarch? I found with the satin ice and MFF that shortening on the work surface didn't seem to help much. I had to cover with CS.

4 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 5:37am
post #2 of 5

I use corn starch to roll out my fondant because it's what works best with the type of fondant that I use. I bought a hand held steamer that I use to steam my cakes. It removes all traces of the corn starch and leaves my cakes with a nice sheen.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 5:42am
post #3 of 5

sorry to hear you had so many problems, I hate caking like that. I actually really like the red SI fondant, it just needs to be kneaded a bit IMO

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 8:27am
post #4 of 5

If the spot is not too big you can try and remove the stain with some clear alcohol, gin or something similar. It might leave a shiny spot, but if it not too big it shouldnt be too obvious. You can also use the alcohol to wipe your cake with, it will take away some of the cornstarch

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 8:46am
post #5 of 5

I make a dusting puff using a handi wipe and a piece of ribbon. I do a 50/50 combo of powdered sugar and cornstarch. I dust my surface and fondant while rolling. If the piece of fondant is to big to lift without tearing I use a piece of cardboard that I covered in freezer paper, wax side up. Lift, place and smooth. I haven't had much success with trying to lift my fondant using a rolling pin. I tried the shortening this too and it didn't work for me either. Fondant kept sticking. Fondarific brand doesn't require much dusting at all. It's great if you can knead it enough to soften up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%