Hope I Waited Long Enough

Decorating By kimbordeaux Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 12:18pm by kimbordeaux

kimbordeaux Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 4:16am
post #1 of 6

I took cakes out freezer and immediately iced w/buttercream. About an hour later I covered it w/fondant. I'm so busy, have 2 children and a husband who are always buzzing around me so I wasn't thinking straight. I don't think the cake had time to thaw completely before I covered w/fondant. I've never made this mistake before so I'm not sure of outcome. I hope there is no bad outcome! What do I have to worry about? What should I be looking for? I'm so tired also, its 12:15am, so I want have time to watch it. I have it partially covered. Please hope for the best! I want the bride to be happy when she sees the cake she has already paid for. I hope for the best!

5 replies
mamawrobin Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 4:53am
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbordeaux

I took cakes out freezer and immediately iced w/buttercream. About an hour later I covered it w/fondant. I'm so busy, have 2 children and a husband who are always buzzing around me so I wasn't thinking straight. I don't think the cake had time to thaw completely before I covered w/fondant. I've never made this mistake before so I'm not sure of outcome. I hope there is no bad outcome! What do I have to worry about? What should I be looking for? I'm so tired also, its 12:15am, so I want have time to watch it. I have it partially covered. Please hope for the best! I want the bride to be happy when she sees the cake she has already paid for. I hope for the best!

You should never cover a frozen, partially frozen or very cold cake with fondant. As the cake thaws the moisture that's trapped under the fondant will cause the fondant to become sticky, "tacky" . This is caused by the condensation from the thawing cake. I never even crumbcoat a frozen or partially frozen cake. The buttercream will not crust on a thawing cake.

When I remove my cakes from the freezer to thaw I leave them wrapped in plastic wrap until they're completely thawed so that the condensation will form on the plastic wrap and not the cake.

Since your cake had been out of the freezer "for about an hour" before you covered with fondant, it had enough time to thaw. But since you iced with buttercream immediately after removing from the freezer I'm thinking that would seal the moisture in. I don't know....Hopefully you won't have any trouble. And this is for a wedding cake??? I hope everything turns out okay for you....post pictures of your cake.

Bfisher2 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 5:01am
post #3 of 6

wow.... really.... I fill, crumb coat and fondant on frozen and partial frozen cakes all the time with no problems.... I use satin ice fonant... maybe that makes a difference...I dunno....

mamawrobin Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 5:52am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfisher2

wow.... really.... I fill, crumb coat and fondant on frozen and partial frozen cakes all the time with no problems.... I use fonant... maybe that makes a difference...I dunno....

It probably does. Satin Ice is the only "freezer friendly" fondant that I know of. I certainly don't know everything and there may be others but I do know that a cake that's covered with Satin Ice freezes very well. Glad to hear that it works for you anyway. I covered a frozen cake with fondant once and it was nothing less than a sticky, gummy mess once the cake started to thaw. icon_lol.gif I had to remove the fondant and start over.

Bfisher2 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 6:12am
post #5 of 6

icon_lol.gif Dont you love days that start out like that.... oh the joy's....

kimbordeaux Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:18pm
post #6 of 6

Hey,

Luckily, I use Satin Ice. I did wake up to huge bubbles on top but, I worked those out with a couple pin pricks. No soggy fondant. I so have the opposite problem. I can never seem to work fast enough with my fondant. I'm going to start buying my fondant already colored. It takes so long to thourghly mix in colors and on top of the time it takes to roll out a 18+in piece I start getting elephant skin and thin cracking. I want (need) a sheeter! All my work is fondant and I get so stressed with it that my family has a saying everytime I'm a doing a cake, "You know you better stay away from Mama, she's doing a cake." If anyone knows of any deals on them let me know. I need a wide one. Thank ya'll for your fast responses. I'm using SPS for the first time today also... kinda hope I won't need ya'll again, lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%