Love My Planet Cake Book!

Decorating By mcaulir Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 10:33am by Riebie

mcaulir Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:31am
post #1 of 12

I have to recommend this book to anyone wanting to get a smoother ganache for under fondant. Clear instructions with pictures, and some interesting tips. I think my latest cake, (the gold and white with the loopy bow) is my smoothest so far - now I just need to learn to get the cornflour off it better.

Just had to rave about my latest purchase!

11 replies
redheadfairy2003 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:50am
post #2 of 12

I want one so bad ... sniff lol

Jamielc Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:54am
post #3 of 12

Thanks for sharing! I'd never heard of Planet Cake until the other day. But I've been so busy that I haven't had a chance to look into it. Glad you're pleased!! icon_smile.gif

icer101 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:56am
post #4 of 12

hi, I don,t have the book. My friend does. I get it every so often and look and read it and take notes. I love it too. I ,m happy for you for your purchase.

KathyTW Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:57am
post #5 of 12

Nice cake! I saw on one of the cake competition shows that if you rub your finished fondant with a small piece of scrap fondant it will pick up the excess cornstarch.....I haven't tried it myself, but it sounds like a resonably sound solution.

bmoser24 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 4:32am
post #6 of 12

Very nice, I love using ganche under fondant too!! If you goto satin ice web site, there is a tutorial with Ron Ben Isreal, he uses a handi wipe dampened to remove cornstarch. You can control the dampness for the effect you want. It works real well.

marisab Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 8:18am
post #7 of 12

Planet Cake have a new book coming out around Sept/Oct. This one is all about cupcakes. I believe it can be pre-ordered on Book Depository.

cakegrandma Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 8:30am
post #8 of 12

An excellent place to get books at a great price is
abedotcom. When you type it into your browser don't type the word dot just put one there after abe.
evelyn

neecerator Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 12:52am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir

I have to recommend this book to anyone wanting to get a smoother ganache for under fondant. Clear instructions with pictures, and some interesting tips. I think my latest cake, (the gold and white with the loopy bow) is my smoothest so far - now I just need to learn to get the cornflour off it better.

Just had to rave about my latest purchase!

Are they all paperbacks? Or can you get a hardcover with coloured pictures?

Mickeebabe Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:20am
post #10 of 12

Where can I find these Planet Cake books?

marisab Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:02am
post #11 of 12

Try here

www.bookdepository.com Just type in Planet Cake and you should see their two books- the second one is not out until Sept/Oct

Riebie Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 10:33am
post #12 of 12

The planet cake book is what got me started in cake decorating! I got it for free as a reward for performance at my previous job! I have just finished ganaching my first wedding cake and I can't stop looking at it in pride! I can't wait to see it finished with the fondant on it tomorrow!
I definately recommend it! Such perfect sharp edges they look amazing. You can check out their website too for some stunning cakes www.planetcake.com.au - check out the couture cakes, they are just breathtaking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%