Love My Planet Cake Book!

Decorating By mcaulir Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 10:33am by Riebie

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:31am
post #1 of 12

I have to recommend this book to anyone wanting to get a smoother ganache for under fondant. Clear instructions with pictures, and some interesting tips. I think my latest cake, (the gold and white with the loopy bow) is my smoothest so far - now I just need to learn to get the cornflour off it better.

Just had to rave about my latest purchase!

11 replies
redheadfairy2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redheadfairy2003 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:50am
post #2 of 12

I want one so bad ... sniff lol

Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:54am
post #3 of 12

Thanks for sharing! I'd never heard of Planet Cake until the other day. But I've been so busy that I haven't had a chance to look into it. Glad you're pleased!! icon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:56am
post #4 of 12

hi, I don,t have the book. My friend does. I get it every so often and look and read it and take notes. I love it too. I ,m happy for you for your purchase.

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:57am
post #5 of 12

Nice cake! I saw on one of the cake competition shows that if you rub your finished fondant with a small piece of scrap fondant it will pick up the excess cornstarch.....I haven't tried it myself, but it sounds like a resonably sound solution.

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 4:32am
post #6 of 12

Very nice, I love using ganche under fondant too!! If you goto satin ice web site, there is a tutorial with Ron Ben Isreal, he uses a handi wipe dampened to remove cornstarch. You can control the dampness for the effect you want. It works real well.

marisab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marisab Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 8:18am
post #7 of 12

Planet Cake have a new book coming out around Sept/Oct. This one is all about cupcakes. I believe it can be pre-ordered on Book Depository.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 8:30am
post #8 of 12

An excellent place to get books at a great price is
abedotcom. When you type it into your browser don't type the word dot just put one there after abe.
evelyn

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 12:52am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir

I have to recommend this book to anyone wanting to get a smoother ganache for under fondant. Clear instructions with pictures, and some interesting tips. I think my latest cake, (the gold and white with the loopy bow) is my smoothest so far - now I just need to learn to get the cornflour off it better.

Just had to rave about my latest purchase!

Are they all paperbacks? Or can you get a hardcover with coloured pictures?

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:20am
post #10 of 12

Where can I find these Planet Cake books?

marisab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marisab Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:02am
post #11 of 12

Try here

www.bookdepository.com Just type in Planet Cake and you should see their two books- the second one is not out until Sept/Oct

Riebie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Riebie Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 10:33am
post #12 of 12

The planet cake book is what got me started in cake decorating! I got it for free as a reward for performance at my previous job! I have just finished ganaching my first wedding cake and I can't stop looking at it in pride! I can't wait to see it finished with the fondant on it tomorrow!
I definately recommend it! Such perfect sharp edges they look amazing. You can check out their website too for some stunning cakes www.planetcake.com.au - check out the couture cakes, they are just breathtaking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%