pooky1969 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:37am
post #1 of

I have a co-worker who's 40th birthday is coming up the end of July. She wanted a cake with dolphins "jumping" out of the water with a beach/ocean theme. Her husband contacted me and I sketched him a design for a cake complete with "sand", seashells, a crab, coral, starfish and water with 2 3-D dolphins jumping out of the water (which I would do with colored piping gel).

I have had many orders lately, so I made myself a pricing chart so I can be consistent with all of my customers. I charge by the slice either $2, $2.50 or $3.00 depending on what flavor cake, filling and if I have to use fondant or it's stacked or tiered. I stay under the prices of the popular bakeries in my area (Westchester County, NY) and I think I'm pretty fair with my prices considering the work and time that is involved.

My question is on sheetcakes. Do you still charge by the slice when it comes to a sheetcake?

The cake I described is a specialty cake with 3-D objects in it. Her husband ordered a 1/2 sheet cake and I charged $3/slice...$144 for the cake.

She wrote to me on FB and commented that "I have too tell you that i did go with my husband to the bakery yesterday to see what options he has and they offered to do a full sheet cake with 2 dolphun cut out cakes on top with the water scene for $110.00 and he still decided to go with your cake anyway so he has got to love it...THUMBS UP TOO YOU" ...then in a later message from her..."i think you need to visit with ****** and get their price list they are very detailed and they would probally be helpfull to you"

I'm sorry I carried on so long, but I am I overcharging?

Thank you so much for your time and comments!

66 replies
Doug Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:51am
post #2 of

overcharging?

ABSOLUTELY

N O T !

------

having lived 20 yrs in NYC and going to Westchester County lots -- your are VERY reasonable (if not low) for that area!

lyndim Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:16am
post #3 of

I know how you feel, I just got a call from a potential client and she wanted a cake for 50-60 people, she said she had just priced a cake at a local bakery and that they were charging $70.00! I told her to purchase her cake from them because I couldn't make it for that much!

nicfam6 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:37am
post #4 of

I don't quite understand why people react that way when they order from us at home bakers. We are giving them a better quality product and fresher too! Ours don't have all of those preservatives and other junk that commercialized stores put. We have our family that we have to take care of too and this is just another way to make a little extra. Know what I mean. I wouldn't worry so much about your pricing. I have found that people that complain about the price in the end are difficult people to satisfy in the end. Good luck in your endeavors.

malene541 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:39am
post #5 of

You might be able to explain the difference that the bakery makes many cakes each week and doesn't spend the time on their cakes like you do. They would have a baker, frosting"er", fondant"er", decorator and so on. YOU do all of these which takes way more time!! So, the same amount of time with more people means more cakes pushed out the door and therefore they could charge a little less to get the business.
I think she is rude for bringing it up to begin with! Let her know that YOU'RE running your business and if she wants a cheap cake she should go to the bakery but if she wants a very personalized cake with many details to give you a call!
icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:46am
post #6 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by malene541

You might be able to explain the difference that the bakery makes many cakes each week and doesn't spend the time on their cakes like you do. They would have a baker, frosting"er", fondant"er", decorator and so on.




To be fair, you don't know how the bakery runs their production. At my shop, my employee and I (and my wonderful team of interns) pick out which cake orders we want to fulfill that week and we do them from start to finish. If I have a cake that will take 20 hours, the other girls will take the cakes that take less time. The same amount of time is being put into those cakes though. And I do the baking too.

peg818 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:00pm
post #7 of

well, i just want to tell you i think your price is very reasonable for what you describe.

I'm much further north of you where the prices tend to be a bit lower. But i would have to charge more then that for what you describing.

costumeczar Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:55pm
post #8 of

You're not overcharging.

Babarooskie Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:13pm
post #9 of

I can bet my sugar sprinkles that the dolphins on the cake from the bakery will probably be the plastic ones.

You're not overcharging. The clients are under-thinking.

pooky1969 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 6:11pm

Thank you so much everyone for reassuring what I thought was a fair price. I always tend to second guess myself though with what I charge. Coming from North Dakota, where some things are ALOT cheaper, sometimes I can't get into the mind frame that in NY people will pay for quality product and services.

Thank you for all your feedback.
Kristi

Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 6:36pm

I would politely decline the invitation to visit the bakery she suggested to see their prices...Yah...NOT!!! It's my business and I will price my cakes at what I feel I should be paid for them.....Cake Muggles.....

rosiecast Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 7:09pm

I think that sounds like a great price.

Where in Westchester are you? I'm in Hastings. Great to see people from the area.

snocilla Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 7:28pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babarooskie

I can bet my sugar sprinkles that the dolphins on the cake from the bakery will probably be the plastic ones.




bet my sugar sprinkles! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif So funny!

DeeDelightful Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 7:43pm

I guess Mrs. Wife is SO concerned about you losing future business to a cheaper bakery....NOT! She's more concerned about "what's so special about her cake that Mr. Hubby chose it over a cheaper cake???"....You are NOT overcharging. He knows what he's getting if he purchases your cake and becaue he knows you, he doesn't mind throwing business your way. I totally understand.

KHalstead Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 7:55pm

I would tell her that you're marketing to a "different crowd" than the other bakery, so you'll keep your prices lol

pooky1969 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 8:28pm

I love all your comments!!! Thank you!

pooky1969 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 9:44pm

rosiecast,

I am in Peekskill. Are you in Hastings or Hastings-on-Hudson?

pooky1969 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:49am

Somehow I have a bad feeling about this... she just sent me a message on FB saying..." hey dont buy any supplies for the cake yet until i see you on monday we have to discuss somethings first."

I know she's going to talk "how I'm overcharging her". Well, you know what?! What you are getting from me and what you would get from that other bakery is two different things! I'm sure they would not put into it as much detail as I am going to!

It is what it is though, right? If she wants to back out of it that's fine with me...I think I would hear whining from her everyday at work. I so know how she is!

Thank you all for letting me vent!
Kristi

neecies_sweets Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:12am

I'm with you, KHalstead! No detailed explanation needed there. . .

iluvpeeks Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:27am

I wouldn't waste my time and talent. She seems like the type of person that wouldn't be happy regardless. I think that if she backs out, she's doing you a favor. Who needs the headache, and your talent and skill questioned.

Kellbella Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:33am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babarooskie

I can bet my sugar sprinkles that the dolphins on the cake from the bakery will probably be the plastic ones.

You're not overcharging. The clients are under-thinking.




My thought's exactly....probably something from Cake Wrecks icon_wink.gif

kenlew Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:35am
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvpeeks

I wouldn't waste my time and talent. She seems like the type of person that wouldn't be happy regardless. I think that if she backs out, she's doing you a favor. Who needs the headache, and your talent and skill questioned.




I totally agree! my prices are even lower than yours because i live in the central valley of california. I tell people that I respect everyone's choice to order from me or someone else but some don't understand that they can be disrespecting me and the time i put into something special by acting like my cakes popped out of a magical betty crocker box and cost $5. they can go to costco for all i care. sure, it's a bummer but not worth the grief. icon_wink.gif

Juliequeen Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:43am
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooky1969

I have a co-worker who's 40th birthday is coming up the end of July. She wanted a cake with dolphins "jumping" out of the water with a beach/ocean theme. Her husband contacted me and I sketched him a design for a cake complete with "sand", seashells, a crab, coral, starfish and water with 2 3-D dolphins jumping out of the water (which I would do with colored piping gel).

I have had many orders lately, so I made myself a pricing chart so I can be consistent with all of my customers. I charge by the slice either $2, $2.50 or $3.00 depending on what flavor cake, filling and if I have to use fondant or it's stacked or tiered. I stay under the prices of the popular bakeries in my area (Westchester County, NY) and I think I'm pretty fair with my prices considering the work and time that is involved.

My question is on sheetcakes. Do you still charge by the slice when it comes to a sheetcake?

The cake I described is a specialty cake with 3-D objects in it. Her husband ordered a 1/2 sheet cake and I charged $3/slice...$144 for the cake.

She wrote to me on FB and commented that "I have too tell you that i did go with my husband to the bakery yesterday to see what options he has and they offered to do a full sheet cake with 2 dolphun cut out cakes on top with the water scene for $110.00 and he still decided to go with your cake anyway so he has got to love it...THUMBS UP TOO YOU" ...then in a later message from her..."i think you need to visit with ****** and get their price list they are very detailed and they would probally be helpfull to you"

I'm sorry I carried on so long, but I am I overcharging?

Thank you so much for your time and comments!




Nope, you are however undercharging.

noahsmummy Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:47am

i wonder.. where she says "dolphin cutouts" does that mean the bakery has quoted for 2d dolphins and not 3d??? hmmmmm.

i say if she choose to go with the bakery, let her, dont explain yourself, you dont need to, youve obviously done your homework on pricing, and if your still getting orders your obviously not overpriced. No skin off your nose, shes just wasting your time.

Juliequeen Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:57am
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmummy

i wonder.. where she says "dolphin cutouts" does that mean the bakery has quoted for 2d dolphins and not 3d??? hmmmmm.

i say if she choose to go with the bakery, let her, dont explain yourself, you dont need to, youve obviously done your homework on pricing, and if your still getting orders your obviously not overpriced. No skin off your nose, shes just wasting your time.




ITA

thatslifeca Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:59am

I'd love for wifey to come out here to where I live and see if she would be even allowed to look at that cake for what you are charging. I wouldn't make that cake for what your charging, I would charge a lot more, al lot lot more. I'm in agreement with everyone else, you are UNDER CHARGING. You should send her and email and thank her for helping you to see that you are undercharging for your cakes, and don't forget the smiley face. icon_smile.gif

cheatize Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 5:38am

Hmm, the wife is not the customer, the husband is. Correct? It's not "her" cake until the husband gives it to her.

Wonder how she'd like it if you told her that you take direction only from the husband? Boy, wouldn't you just love to tell her that? LOL

adventuregal Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 8:09am

alright...it sounds to me like she's trying to intimidate you into lowering your price. She sounds passive aggresive-what a head ache! I would tell her the straight facts: "I can make you this kind of cake for this price and they can tell you what they can make you for X amount price and I respect whatever decision you make, but keep in mind I need notice"
By sending you these "informative" emails...to me its like she's slyly implying that you should lower your prices (but you shouldn't!). Stay strong and let the people who want to pay for your art do it. People can be so rude!

tinygoose Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 8:43am
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooky1969



.then in a later message from her..."i think you need to visit with ****** and get their price list they are very detailed and they would probally be helpfull to you"




I would write back to the first email. "I'm glad your husband decided to go with me. Thank you for the suggestion of getting xxxxx price list, but remain very much in demand at my current prices so I am happy with mine."

rosiecast Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 1:48pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooky1969

rosiecast,

I am in Peekskill. Are you in Hastings or Hastings-on-Hudson?




Great! I'm in Hastings-on-hudson (HOH).

Best of luck and I would cancel this order. She sounds like a PITA. lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%