Help! Crumb Coating A Carved Cake...

Decorating By Tinabarena Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 2:50pm by Tinabarena

Tinabarena Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:06am
post #1 of 6

HELP! I am in the process of making a WWF champion belt. Baked the cake, it's completely cool and carved. However, when I tried to crumb coat it so that I can begin to lay the fondant over top, my BC won't stick to the sides...it keeps coming off it big globs. Is something wrong with the cake? Is my BC too thick? Should I put the cake in the freezer to firm up the sides? Ugh. Not sure if this post should be in "how do i" or "cake disaster"

Darn Cake Boss/Ace of Cakes makes it look so easy icon_cry.gif

5 replies
cakesrock Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:36am
post #2 of 6

Sounds like your BC may be too thick or your cake is too crumbly. Did you use a lb cake or WASC or one that is dense enough for carving? That makes a huge different. I also put mine in the freezer for 10 mins after crumb coating before putting on fondant.
At this point, I would thin out the BC-which are you using? Sugarshacks (in recipes) is really good.) If that alone doenst work, stick it in the freezer for a few mins.
And yes, I agree- Cake Boss and like make it look all to easy...

Aeropanda Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:38am
post #3 of 6

When this happened with one of my cakes, my BC was a little stiff, so I thinned it very gradually. But I have always found that the carved parts of my cakes are a little trickier to coat because those parts are softer. Let us know what you figure out!

Tinabarena Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:12pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks guys! I just used the normal Devils Food cake mix. I'll try thinning my BC to see if that works. The BC recipe I use is from one of the Wilton instructors. I love it because there is no dairy products in it so I don't have to worry about refridgeration...so far, everyone has loved the taste of it.

I'll let you know how it turns out!

TexasSugar Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:08pm
post #5 of 6

Thin it down, and it will help.

And for the record, if your icing has milk it in it can still sit out. The amount of sugar in the recipe acts as a preservative.

Tinabarena Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:50pm
post #6 of 6

Awe...interesting...I didn't know that, just assumed you couldn't keep it out. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%