Gumpaste Or Fondant? Would Like Your Wisdom...

Decorating By kteacher027 Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 3:47pm by kteacher027

kteacher027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kteacher027 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:27am
post #1 of 5

I'm making sweet sixteen cupcakes. I'm making buttercream swirls on top. I am putting a small circle on each cupcake with a letter, spelling out her name. Which would hold up better for the circle and letter...fondant or gumpaste. The person wants to pick it up Sunday, but not serve them until Tuesdays because he is traveling with them.

I would like these to look nice and last for my customer. Sometimes fondant looks "melty" and flimsy after a day. Suggestions please?

4 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:42pm
post #2 of 5

I would have suggested a 50/50 fondant and gumpaste mix until I read that they are going to sit from Sunday (or will you make them Saturday?) until Tuesday. I don't think 50/50 or straight gumpaste will hold up that long on buttercream. Can you give him the circles separately and they can put them on themselves right before the party?

kteacher027 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for your reply. I could talk to him about picking them up Monday morning perhaps...or Sunday night. I will also suggest that about putting on the circles. He is so non-chalant about it. (Single dad--taking to his daughter at hockey camp-she is celebrating her 16th there). He really didn't care what I did...I am just trying to make it special for his daughter and he does want writing on the cupcakes. I thought that might be the easiest way --swirl the icing...circles with letters and a ribbon around each cupcake using hot pink and black.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 5

If you have gumpaste, go with the gumpaste. Make the letters today and allow them to start drying out. You should have no issues with them getting flimsy after that. The ribbons sound cute... you might want to use a glue dot to adhere the ribbon to the wrapper so it wont slide down.

You are good to want to make this special!

thumbs_up.gif

kteacher027 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you Win. icon_biggrin.gif I just love this website and appreciate all of your advice. (yes, I do have gumpaste)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%