Not Sharing? No Problem!

Decorating By Cakepro Updated 1 Jul 2010 , 11:49pm by 4realLaLa

Cakepro Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 10:12pm
post #1 of 14

Jeez, I am so tired of clicking on cake photos only to see (some) people demanding a tutorial on how the decorator did their cake. I am also put off by a couple of people in an earlier thread today who got their panties in a wad because someone wouldn't share a recipe that was given to them by a friend who specifically asked her not to share.

What has happened here that so many people actually EXPECT people to divulge everything and have a hissy fit if it doesn't happen?

I have posted quite a few recipes here but there are family recipes and recipes that others have given to me as a trusted friend that I will NOT share....I would expect the majority of people here have similar treasured/trusted recipes that they won't share either, and I respect that. Why don't others respect the proprietary rights of "members with secrets" too?

It's as if there is a pervasive sense of entitlement amongst some users here. If someone shares something with you, that's a GIFT. And if they don't, that's their RIGHT. It doesn't diminish their status as a valued member here. No one here is ENTITLED to have others write tutorials or share secrets or tricks or recipes or whatever....and how DARE someone actually say, "If you don't share [insert whatever here] with the rest of us, don't post!" That is SO rude!

Just had to get that off my chest. Respect, people, not entitlement.

13 replies
Doug Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 14

not to mention....(but I will..)

and when help is given, they don't even say Thank You.

(that's one that has my dander up at the moment!)

Montrealconfections Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 14

You're so funny!! We don't want or expect to know everyone's secrets but why would you say to someone I have the answer to your question but I'm not telling, it makes no sense. If you don't want to share the info why would you say you have it?? That seems pretty logical to me.

Doug Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealconfections

You're so funny!! We don't want or expect to know everyone's secrets but why would you say to someone I have the answer to your question but I'm not telling, it makes no sense. If you don't want to share the info why would you say you have it?? That seems pretty logical to me.

missing the point...

say I post a cake and say that the middle tier was butterbeer flavored.

OH, cries someone! That sounds SO good, I MUST have the recipe.

I respond -- sorry -- no can do, private recipe.

Someone responds HOW DARE YOU! ! ! !

no where did I offer to share. Merely stated what the flavor was. That is NOT an invitation to share.

(and I chose butterbeer on purpose as that is the flavor of the moment at the new Universal Studios Harry Potter Theme Park and NO -- they are NOT sharing the recipe -- even tho' 1000s have begged.

NO one is ENTITLED to my information unless I OFFER to share it.

and then a big Thank you is in order if I do

and a "OK, I understand." if I don't!

Maria925 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 10:29pm
post #5 of 14

I have only been on CC a short while and I am amazed time & time again when others ARE willing to share their tips, tutorials, recipes, etc. If someone is willing to share information, it IS a gift and should be thanked. No one should be expected to share anything and shouldn't be looked down upon if they don't.

Montrealconfections Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 10:34pm
post #6 of 14

Hi Doug, This thread was started due to another thread:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6869205-.html#6869205

In this discussion someone writes they make wonderful cheap fondant OBVIOUSLY folks are going to inquire if they could get the recipe, the person says no that's fine but why write that you have this fantastic recipe in the discussion when you know folks are going to ask if you have no intension of sharing?? They wouldn't ask if you didn't say you had this great recipe, there is a big difference between the description under your photo to the forum discussions. You obviously want to put an accurate description under your cake photo but why post in a forum saying I have the answer to your question just not giving it??

cakes47 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 10:39pm
post #7 of 14

This thread was long overdue. Some people needed to know that others
aren't being selfish by not ''sharing'' & have every right not to for whatever
reason they may have. I totally agree with Cakepro & Doug.

Montrealconfections Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 10:49pm
post #8 of 14

OMG Doug just checked out your photos, how many templates do you have there? Very generous of you!

cheeseball Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 10:51pm
post #9 of 14

Sometimes people brag about the fabulous house on the lake that they just bought...doesn't mean they have any intention of letting me have it for the weekend icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

Doug Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 10:52pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealconfections

Hi Doug, This thread was started due to another thread:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6869205-.html#6869205

In this discussion someone writes they make wonderful cheap fondant OBVIOUSLY folks are going to inquire if they could get the recipe, the person says no that's fine but why write that you have this fantastic recipe in the discussion when you know folks are going to ask if you have no intension of sharing?? They wouldn't ask if you didn't say you had this great recipe, there is a big difference between the description under your photo to the forum discussions. You obviously want to put an accurate description under your cake photo but why post in a forum saying I have the answer to your question just not giving it??

stand by my original assertion.

yes, she has her recipe.

she NEVER offered to share it.

when asked she explained why and at least one other person verified.

and then the HOW DARE YOU whining began.

no one has the right to demand she share or whine at her if she doesn't

it's like what women are always asking men:

what part of NO don't you understand!?!?!?!?????

cutthecake Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 10:56pm
post #11 of 14

You have to marry into our family to get certain recipes from my mother. And that's quite a price to pay! And don't even think about divorcing--you'd have to give up the recipe and all knowledge of it.

dreamcakesmom Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 10:59pm
post #12 of 14

I have to agree that people here on Cake central are super generous with their information and for some of us newer people we truly appreciate all the feedback etc to help keep us moving in the right direction. However, I also feel like this is people's livlihood that we are asking them to share and for us to take advantage of. If someone doesn't want to share a recipe or skill that they have perfected I don;t blame them. That helps increase the value of the product that not every other cake maker has the same thing. With that being said I don;t think that in the other ost the person not sharing the recipe was trying to be smug or difficult. I think she/he was sharing an answer to the original question and trying to illustrate that there are ways to make a home made fondant for a low price, etc. We should take that as a lesson that it can be done.

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 11:04pm
post #13 of 14

If the OP (on the thread that this thread is referring to) had said, "I'm looking for fondant recipes" and someone responded, "I have one that makes the best fondant you've ever tasted! It's fast and cheap, too! But I'm not sharing it"....THAT would be rude. But that isn't how it happened. The OP asked "store bought or homemade" and someone replied "I prefer homemade." THEN the recipe was asked for, and the recipe holder very politely responded that if it were her recipe, she would GLADLY share it, but as she was given the recipe and asked not to share it, she won't.

I'm sticking with the mean non-sharers on this one. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

4realLaLa Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 11:49pm
post #14 of 14

I totally agree with not "having to share". I am still amazed at all the recipes and tutorials there are on CC. It is very kind of everyone who does so and I for one appreciate them. Can't we all just get along?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%