Kitchenaid Mixer Question - Update

Decorating By xanikesmom Updated 4 Nov 2012 , 1:35pm by Dani1081

xanikesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xanikesmom Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 14

Awhile back I had asked if anyone else had problems with gray streaks in their batter after using the Kitchenaid Professional Series Lift Mixer. I know others said they had this going on, so I just wanted to give an update.

I called the Kitchenaid Customer Service line today to register my product as well as ask about the gray streaks. Of course the first advice the agent had given me was to never wash the bowl or the beater in the dishwasher (which I hadn't) and when washing by hand to dry both right away.

Second, when putting the bowl onto the holders you need to check and make sure the bowl is completely level. If it is not level, you need to push really hard until you hear it click into place. This was one of my mistakes ... I thought the bowl was on tight enough but it wasn't so my bowl was always tilted a little bit.

Third, she had me test whether my beater was at the correct level. She had me get a dime and a flat head screwdriver. With the bowl and beater in place, she had me put the dime into the bowl. When the beater is turned onto the "Stir" setting, the beater should be moving the dime 1/4 inch per rotation. If it is not touching the dime, the beater needs to be adjusted. With the flat head screwdriver, she had me turn the screw that is just to the left of the mix handle 1/4 turn counter clockwise and retest. I had to do this twice before it was correct.

Now my mixer is running perfectly. And as a positive, they are sending me out a replacement mixing bowl and beater. Both received a small amount of scratching due to the beater not being adjusted properly. She did let me know that all of the materials are food safe, so the scratching would not harm any of the food I have made.

I just thought I would pass this info along to others as it was very useful to me!!

13 replies
lilyankee5688 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyankee5688 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 14

That is good to know. I just got a 5qt, but I love it! I am so glad to hear they have great costumer service!! Hey never can go wrong with an extra bowl and beater!!!

Have you see the Beater Blades at global sugar art that have rubber around it, so it scraps the bowl as it beats? I saw it in my July newsletter.. looks pretty impressive, wonder if anyone has used it... I'll add a link to it, hope it works!

http://www.globalsugarart.com/search.php?search=beater+blade&searchimage.x=0&searchimage.y=0

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 10:30pm
post #3 of 14

oooh i gotta try that dime thing, thanks for sharing!

abeane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abeane Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 10:33pm
post #4 of 14

Good to know! I haven't had any issues with gray streaks but I'll probably go home and use the dime test just to be sure icon_smile.gif

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 10:40pm
post #5 of 14

thanks for the info

xanikesmom Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:22am
post #6 of 14

One more thing ... she recommended doing the dime test every other month if you use your mixer more than once per week. icon_smile.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:38am
post #7 of 14

Thanks for the information! I am going to do the dime now! I think mine is ok, but I want to check.

Thanks for the blade link too! Mine is out of stock, but I am going to order one when they come back in!

ArtsyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtsyLady Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:53am
post #8 of 14

Is this the 6 qt mixer? I haven't been putting my beater in the dishwasher but my manual said the bowls could go in, so I've been doing that. I haven't had the gray streak problem but I was wondering why the bowls wouldn't be dishwasher safe. Does anyone know?

ElmwoodHero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElmwoodHero Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:06am
post #9 of 14

i had to do that to on my KA, thanks for the update[/code]

xanikesmom Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:17am
post #10 of 14

Mine is the 5 quart mixer. When I had to adjust the screw it was REALLY hard to turn. I actually had to have my hubby do it while I was on the phone with her.

I was very impressed with the customer service. And since she was able to walk me through it step by step right away, I took it this was a common problem.

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:35am
post #11 of 14

lilyankee... One of the first things I purchased was the beater with the rubber on the edges. Well worth the expense. Actually, I have two. One used for gumpaste and royal only and the other for batters and fillings.

You need to wash/dry immediately after use for extended life.

lilyankee5688 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyankee5688 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:34pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirlNga

lilyankee... One of the first things I purchased was the beater with the rubber on the edges. Well worth the expense. Actually, I have two. One used for gumpaste and royal only and the other for batters and fillings.

You need to wash/dry immediately after use for extended life.

awesome to hear!! I am going to buy one, once I get my credit card down. lol i've bought way to much cake stuff in the last year.. haha time to start getting it down before i get more!! lol

lauriebend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauriebend Posted 4 Nov 2012 , 4:36am
post #13 of 14

Thank you soooo much for this information.  You just solved all my problems!!  I really appreciate you taking the time to write all that to help everyone else.  Bless you!

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 4 Nov 2012 , 1:35pm
post #14 of 14

i have two of the Beater Blades and couldn't live without them. I havent used the original beater since I bought my first Beater blade two years ago and wont ever go back to the ka beater. They are that wonderful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%