White Cake Isn't White!!!

Decorating By BosCakes Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 11:26am by Loucinda

BosCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BosCakes Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 9

First request for white cake (usually yellow/gold, chocolate) and it's not really white..i used the recipe for durable cake (DElicious!) using white cake mix and vanilla pudding, but the pudding turned the batter light yellow. PLease tell me i'm just being silly and the customer won't complain...!!! "White" is more about the mellow flavor, right?!!!

8 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 8:56pm
post #2 of 9

YOu're being silly and the customer won't complain. Various ingredients, including egg yolks, will turn the color. When I started adding egg yolks to my white cake (simply because it was faster than separating 68 eggs at one time), I started calling it "Wedding White" and explained, "It has a slightly golden color because I add the whole egg, not just the egg white, to give it a richer, fuller flavor for you."

(It's ALL-L-L-L-L-L in the marketing! icon_wink.gif )

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:05pm
post #3 of 9

I'm sure they won't complain! (There was a thread on here recently where a bride did complain about her cake not being pure "white" but that is the rare exception...I always use at least some yolks in white cake...and I try to use white chocolate pudding mix but I also use vanilla.)

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 9

Oh, IndyDebi - you, as ever, RULE! icon_smile.gif

BosCakes Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you sooo much! I was just able to breathe for the first time all day! Do you think I should mention anything beforehand, or just see if she says anything? It's not a cheap cake job; I don't want to disappoint anyone!

Kitagrl Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosCakes

Thank you sooo much! I was just able to breathe for the first time all day! Do you think I should mention anything beforehand, or just see if she says anything? It's not a cheap cake job; I don't want to disappoint anyone!

Oh, no...never say anything....if you do, they will complain, guaranteed!!!!

BosCakes Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:52pm
post #7 of 9

thanks, kitagrl, that's a good point!!

when you use the white chocolate pudding, does the cake noticeably have white chocolate flavor?

Kitagrl Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:54pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosCakes

thanks, kitagrl, that's a good point!!

when you use the white chocolate pudding, does the cake noticeably have white chocolate flavor?

No, not at all.... so if someone orders white cake I'll leave out the yolks (or maybe just add "one"...on my website I call it "ivory vanilla cake", not white) and then use the white chocolate instead of vanilla. But it doesn't really taste like white chocolate at all. If someone wanted a white chocolate flavor I'd definitely have to add more stuff to it to get that flavor.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 11:26am
post #9 of 9

The white chocolate pudding doesn't turn the cake as yellow as the vanilla pudding does.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%