Edible Images

Decorating By cupcakelady64 Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 11:29am by icingimages

cupcakelady64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakelady64 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 3

so i've got this cake to make, and i got an edible image from a local
supply store, but i'm not sure how to get it on the cake. i tried once before and it tore and ruined it. so, if anyone could help me out on that? how do you get the edible image onto the cake?

2 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:48am
post #2 of 3

This is what I do: Cut out the image (with the paper intact) and just before you are going to use it, apply a very thin coat of BC to where it will go, peel it gently off the paper and press down onto the BC. Then smoothe it down gently, without pulling -they are pretty fragile. Then put a border around it if you choose. Dont put it back in the fridge, as it can run.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 11:29am
post #3 of 3

Hi:
If you are cutting the image than do cut the image prior to pealing it off the backing. Since it sounds like you are using the thinner icing sheets,...it is a good idea to start your peeling before you cut. Once you have your peel started, lay the image back and then begin cutting, if you plan to cut. Make sure your frosting is damp. If it is not, you can dampen it with a spritz of water or, what I do, is take a damp paper towel and lay it on the icing about 5 minutes before I put the image on. Images, need moisture to adhere. Remove the paper towel, then with DRY hands, peel the image from the backing. Flex the image in half so you can place the center of the image on the center of the cake proceed with laying the image from the center out. WITH DRY HANDS you can smooth your image out. Make sure all air bubbles are out. If an air bubble gets trapped, you can take a small pin and stick the image then smooth it out. You must work fast, as once the image becomes moist, if you touch it it can smear.

Now, we can refridgerate our cake, but you must be sure that if you have the cake covered that when you take the cake out, condensation doesnt build up and drip on to the cake. Also, it is important that you do not expose images to excessive light as some images can fade.

FYI, if you do your own printing, I would suggest the Icing Images Premium Icing Sheet. They are not as fragile and do not tear easy. They allow much more time before they begin to bond to the cake allowing you time to manipulate the icing sheet without damage. Plus they taste great!!!1

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%