Its Always The Cake, Isn't It....

Business By Kitagrl Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 12:58pm by sugarycreations

Yum2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yum2010 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:08pm
post #61 of 101

http://weddings.about.com/od/w.....ake_10.htm

LMAO at this cake pic.....but, then came the steps to make it. I almost wet my pants. HILARIOUS!!!!! This has made my day!!!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 3:08pm
post #62 of 101

Crud, that link doesn't go to a specific pic or article, just a list of them. Which one is it?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:27pm
post #63 of 101

I doubt that this is the same one, since there are so many beauties out there, but I just put a link to a lovely one on my blog last week... http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2010/07/another-diy-wedding-cake-masterpiece.html

sweettooth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth88 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:44pm
post #64 of 101

Seeing this just makes me want to have a heart attack!!! I am in the middle of planning my wedding and the cake was the first thing on my mind. i will wear a burlap sack just so i can have a nice cake and food for my guest!!! lol (i really wont wear a sack but i wont sacrifice good food) lol

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 7:03pm
post #65 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I doubt that this is the same one, since there are so many beauties out there, but I just put a link to a lovely one on my blog last week... http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2010/07/another-diy-wedding-cake-masterpiece.html

OMG! Were they using toothpicks as supports? Good luck with that. And I like the slapping the icing on the already stacked cake, what a masterpiece. icon_lol.gif

Yum2010 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 7:13pm
post #66 of 101

OMG!!! I just veiwed the above link and I cannot stop laughing!! Seriously, I am in tears right now! I love the comment on the blog just before the link that says not to put the crackers next to it...CLASSIC!!!

Yum2010 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 7:19pm
post #67 of 101

I am so glad to know that i can reduce my costs by using toothpicks as supports, offering no filling and picking weeds from my yard to decorate and garnish...........Gumpaste flowers!! Professional florists! Ha! it will be a lost art, after others get a look at this "genious" masterpiece. Humm....now only if i can find a way to stop the dog from peeing on them since i will be using them for my cakes.......oh well, a little dog pee, never hurt anyone, right?! LOL!

jqorso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jqorso Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 7:33pm
post #68 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yum2010

I am so glad to know that i can reduce my costs by using toothpicks as supports, offering no filling and picking weeds from my yard to decorate and garnish...........

Yippie! I can get 1000 toothpicks for $1, I can hear the money rolling in now! I do feel bad for the people who get middle pieces without any icing, tho. icon_sad.gif

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 7:38pm
post #69 of 101

I think they should turn that link into a movie called Attack of the Frosting Blob

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 7:52pm
post #70 of 101

Rosemary twigs, chamomile flowers... what's the yellow one? It has a top like dill or anise.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 7:59pm
post #71 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Rosemary twigs, chamomile flowers... what's the yellow one? It has a top like dill or anise.

If you HAVE to use herbs don't use a savory with a sweet! Rosemary and dill???? UGO

I have seen lavender and mint used - but not without BC icing roses, etc.

Can you imagine no frosting in the middle - cake on cake! I would be the first to try scaping the plate to get me some..lol

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:14pm
post #72 of 101

I hope I get a piece with a toothpick in it, especially if I don't get icing! Then I won't feel so cheated.

costumeczar Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:04pm
post #73 of 101

I did notice that nobody on the tutorial took credit for having made the cake...Why not, it's such a masterpiece!

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:17pm
post #74 of 101

omg both of those are hilarious, i wouyld so have died if my cake looked like either of those, but hey wouldn't it be fun if someone actually liked the look of those and wanted a rustic cake because it's cheaper. too funny, love the toothpick idea, man sps is so overrated and plastic dowels, forget it, toothpick rule!!!!

hey if you want to torte your cake, you can always use the long frilled ones and then you would have a suprise inside!!!!

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 10:16pm
post #75 of 101

Oh. my. I love how it says to get your knife wet to get it "really smooth!" and then it shows the "really smooth" icing completed- that's not even casually iced, that's just a mess!!

jqorso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jqorso Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 12:49am
post #76 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

I hope I get a piece with a toothpick in it, especially if I don't get icing! Then I won't feel so cheated.

Shh, everyone will want one. icon_wink.gif

Melvira Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 2:47am
post #77 of 101

omFg. icon_confused.gif Can we seriously slap the person that wrote that? That is heinous. That would be like me writing an article about how it's so easy to make your own wedding dress... "Take some beautiful silk and wrap it elegantly around your torso..." and the picture shows me haphazardly wrapping someone in TP.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 3:04am
post #78 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

omFg. icon_confused.gif Can we seriously slap the person that wrote that? That is heinous. That would be like me writing an article about how it's so easy to make your own wedding dress... "Take some beautiful silk and wrap it elegantly around your torso..." and the picture shows me haphazardly wrapping someone in TP.

and held together with safety pins, maybe we could replace beads and embroidery with stickers and streamers too?

would save us some bucks! party.gif

carlee521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carlee521 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 6:39am
post #79 of 101

Ok this has to be the best thread ever....not for the the hideous cakes, but for the best replies ever!

I laughed several times at your replies!

I think I would've stabbed the "Artist" who made those cakes...with every toothpick I could find!

costumeczar Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:44am
post #80 of 101

I was thinking that I would probably want a piece with a toothpick in it, because you'd need something to pick the weeds out of your teeth.

Funny that the DIY dress was mentioned, because I was thinking this past week (after seeing the toothpick/herb cheese cake) that I'm going to write something for my blog about DIY dresses just to be snarky. They'll never have a DIY dress article anywhere because wedding magazines are basically dress ad books. They don't rely on advertising from bakers, caterers, favor-makers, etc., so they can DIY us to death and not see a drop in their bottom line.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 11:53am
post #81 of 101

That's it!!! Forget the cake my DD was going to get - I just have to do the toothpick cake!! and I like the idea of a toothpick for each person!!! icon_biggrin.gif

cutthecake Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 12:35pm
post #82 of 101

A few years ago, I saw a contest to determine who could make the prettiest dress out of duct tape. ALL brides should try that one.

Yum2010 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 12:39pm
post #83 of 101

I swear, Ya'll are the best!! I had a rough night last night.......you know, kids crazy, a couple of rush orders, lazy husband,.......but just thinking of that cake and this thread especially with all of the replies kept a smile on my face the whole time.....I think my husband thought I must have taken a "happy pill".....but, didn't need one, you guys are my "happy pill".....Thanks for that!!

Melvira Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 1:25pm
post #84 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I was thinking that I would probably want a piece with a toothpick in it, because you'd need something to pick the weeds out of your teeth.

Buahahahahaha!!

I sent that link to my MIL and SIL, who are NOT cake people, but both had the sense to have me do their wedding cakes. They were aghast! My MIL was so funny, she's like, "They didn't even put ICING between the layers!!?" Ok, if non-caker can plainly see that... come on people!

I'm glad we're all able to get a little laugh out of this though. And I shout a big Amen to the 'they'll never suggest DIY dresses' in those stupid wedding magazines. Who cares about the 2k decor, catering, and cake budget... (2k for all of that, not each!) these brides are dumping 15k on a dress. THAT'S where the money is!

cutthecake Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 3:57pm
post #85 of 101

One of those wedding shows (maybe Platinum Weddings?) on TV featured a wedding with $20,000 worth of LIGHTING. Lighting! Imagine having that kind of money to burn! (Pun unintended.)

Melvira Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:05pm
post #86 of 101

That makes me sad. 20k on lighting.

How about when "Brad and Jennifer" got married... they had roughly a million dollars worth of fireworks. Now, honestly, I'd love that, but come on. These people have a ridiculous amount of wealth, money loses it's meaning because there is literally nothing they can't buy. They don't know how it feels to want. People like Paris Hilton, you know? She needs to spend a year with a 'real job', paying rent on a $500 apartment with one little bathroom. No servants, etc. That might change her for the better if it's possible!

Crabbabs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crabbabs Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:54pm
post #87 of 101

This thread has made my day!

I just wanted to put in my two cents about favors. I recently went to a wedding and instead of favors, they had a tiny card with the menu that said a donation to the American Cancer Society has been made in my honor. Maybe Im out of the loop, but I have never heard of that before. I thought it was very generous and thoughtful. I talked to the bride later and she said that originally they were going to get miniature picture frames for each guest, but realized that most people dont want little trinkets sitting around. So they donated the amount of money they would have spent.

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 5:13pm
post #88 of 101

I recently attended a wedding and instead of those little trinkets that they give out for favors, they were giving out big boxes...I opened it and it was a bowl server! Now that's different!

Melvira Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 5:37pm
post #89 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabbabs

This thread has made my day!

I just wanted to put in my two cents about favors. I recently went to a wedding and instead of favors, they had a tiny card with the menu that said a donation to the American Cancer Society has been made in my honor. Maybe Im out of the loop, but I have never heard of that before. I thought it was very generous and thoughtful. I talked to the bride later and she said that originally they were going to get miniature picture frames for each guest, but realized that most people dont want little trinkets sitting around. So they donated the amount of money they would have spent.

That is beautiful, considerate, and most of all, DECENT! I love it. Honestly, as long as they actually DO make the donation (I'm speaking in general, not about your friend Crabbabs!) I would prefer that to any kind of trinket. Now, edible favors... I love those, but I would happily do without if they did something like that. If I were to get married today, I'd probably do that, but with Operation Smile. My son's palstic surgeon goes on those missions, that's one of the reasons we chose him to handle our little man's cleft!

Crabbabs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crabbabs Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 6:24pm
post #90 of 101

Lol melvira, my boyfriend thought of that too. He said that we should do the same thing for our wedding and make the donation to the Human Fund (which is in reference to a Seinfeld episode where George gives donations to the non-existent Human Fund as Christmas presents.) My boyfriend was joking of course it would be a pretty slimy to not actually make the donation.

The brides mom had brain cancer (and has been in remission for years now) so it was a special way to personalize the wedding. I love that you would donate to Operation Smile. My boyfriend and I might donate to an animal shelter we regularly volunteer at.

Im also a huge fan of edible favors too especially chocolate or cookies. Come to think of it, the only favor I ever kept was a note pad that become our scrabble score keeper.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%