Buying A Freezer

Decorating By kger Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 8:36pm by tiggy2

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 3

I've decided I need extra freezer space, so I'm going to get a used one from Craigslist. I just found one for $75 from 2003 that is an upright and not frost-free, meaning I will have to defrost it every so often.

I know absolutely nothing about freezers. Does the de-frosting bit matter? How much of a pain is it to defrost, and how often do they typically need defrosting? Is the age ok? It will go in the basement or garage, so I don't care about appearances.

Opinions? TIA.

2 replies
CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:42am
post #2 of 3

De-frosting is just extra work.

Depending on how fast you get ice crystal build up, you'll want to keep your freezer free of it.

Nasty odors, dust and fluff will linger.

How to de-frost involves warm water, lots of towels and patience. Basically, you've got to melt the stuff, and then clean up all the water icon_smile.gif

My repair guy advised not to use a hair dryer (although I have tapedshut.gif )
I guess it could damage the insulation inside.
And chipping the ice can cause damage to the freezer as well.

I have a chest freezer, though...and defrosting an upright would have to be less back stress!!

For $75 and a garage freezer, I would be happy icon_smile.gif

HTH!!

icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 3

I defrost mine once a year. It's in the garage so I turn it off, take verything out, place pots of boiling water on the metal shelves and wait for all the ice to melt off and run into the floor drain. Smartest thing we did when building the house was put a drain and hot/cold water in the garage.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%