Cake Due Tomorrow - Suggestions?

Decorating By michel30014 Updated 1 Jul 2010 , 7:52pm by michel30014

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 8

Ok, heres the deal. I have a small cake in my freezer (Im at work right now) and cant remember whether it is angel food cake or pound cake. Just found out we have a girl returning to work that has been on maternity leave. (Shes coming back tomorrow) I thought Id put together this small cake. I already have some vanilla buttercream (all white) already put together and some fondant made. (uncolored at present moment). I was at the baby shower and the colors were brown and baby blue. I am new to this fondant thing, so dont have any cutters yet.

Ok, so does anyone have any suggestions/designs/color themes that I could put together tonight and bring in by tomorrow morning? I feel experienced enough to do this in one night but still want it to show quality work. Can someone help?

7 replies
BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 8

If you have a heart shaped cookie cutter you could just do some medium to large hearts and pipe "Welcome Back" or even just "BABY" onto the cutouts.

VNatividad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VNatividad Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 8

How about ribbon roses? No cutters needed.

See tutorial: http://www.make-fabulous-cakes.com/fondant-ribbon-roses.html

I don't think you have to stick to the baby shower theme. A nice cake just for her without baby stuff would be nice.

hollyberry91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyberry91 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 8

You could roll out the fondant and use a razor to carve out a monogram of the baby's first initial for the top of the cake. If you don't have any circle cutters you can use the tops of sprinkle containers or extract tops to cut out polka dots. You could also roll fondant into balls to make a border for the bottom. You could turn your vanilla BC into chocolate and ice the cake in that then color your fondant the blue color for your decorations. It is much easier to color fondant blue than brown. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

etr2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
etr2002 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 8

I love the idea of the fondant roses. As a mother who is returning to work in a month and 8 days, I would be ecstatic to have a cake that doesn't focus on baby and is more adult in theme. Everyone is different, but I can't wait to get back to the workforce after 8 months off. I think this is very thoughtful of you!

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 8

You can use the back end of piping tips to cut out circles for polka dots.

You can also use them for Duff-style roses. This was one of two instructions in the Cake Central template gallery.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=886563

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 7:24pm
post #7 of 8

Ribbon roses is a good idea but probably even easier is to make circles - cut with the lg end of any tipicon_smile.gif Pinch one 'end' together to make a slightly cupped petal; put 5 around together into a 'daisy' and add a ball of fondant for the center. Use that leaf idea shown on the ribbon roses link. Then add a few more cut circles (flat) around the cake; balls of fondant as borders.
And since I'm such a chocoaholic I love the idea of icing the cake in choco b'cream. Just add Unsweetened cocoa powder to your b'cream until it has as much choco flavor as you like. If it seems a bit dry add a tablespoon or so of hot water.

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 7:52pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you everyone for coming to my rescue!! You have all given me some wonderful ideas to think about.

I didn't really want to focus on baby really just her. But, did want to try to use the colors that she chose for her baby shower.

I very much appreciate it everyone's ideas!! Thanks so much!! CC'ers are the BEST!! icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%