How Do I Use Edible Paper Tips Please

Decorating By chellescountrycakes Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 11:43am by icingimages

chellescountrycakes Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 5

I just got edible images made, Now, how do I attach them?

and they are not the exact colors I need- (for a clan tartan) so can I paint on top with my vodka and gel color?

is there any tips on using edible images? anything you can think of- cause I promise you, even the most obsure screw up, or what you think is the most common sense thing- it will be me that screws it up.. LOL

4 replies
kakeladi Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 5

I HOPE you have kept it in some protective wrap and flat. When the cake is ready (iced):
1st you need to remove the image from the backing sheet. Hold it by the edges and roll it over the table edge. It should loosen right off. If it sticks at all put it in the fzr for about 3-5 minutes and try again.

Going on Fondant: Just *very slightly* moisten the area where the image will go and lay the image on. Be sure you line it up right as you will NOT get a second chance to adjust it.

If b'cream: as soon as you are finished smoothing the icing lay the image on. Again, you will not be able to repoistion it so be sure it is lined up just right before you actually lay it down.

With either icing once applied, lay a clean dry paper towel over it & use your hand to smooth it down (OR fondant smoother if you have one)
If any air bubbles appear, prick them with a pin carefully from the bottom side of the bubble and smooth down with a light finger pressure. Do not touch the image without something over it - paper towel or waxpaper is best.

Can't think of anything eelse. Good luck icon_smile.gif It is really easier than it sounds.

leah_s Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 5

PS You appear to have an icing sheet, not edible paper.

Or do you really have edible paper? That won't be on a backing sheet.

chellescountrycakes Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:09pm
post #4 of 5

oh heck leah- I dont know! LOL I got it from walmart.. they printed it on a peice of paper, you take it off, its rice paper with powedered sugar I think she said...

Okay thanks- icon_smile.gif I'm putting it on fondant. then I'm painting over it to get the darker colors. Cause the colors they printed out SUCK..

icingimages Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 11:43am
post #5 of 5

Ok, so you just have an image on edible paper. First you want to adhere it to the cake. Remove the image from the backing. Follow the directions listed above in kakeladi's post. You should wait for the image to dry to the cake prior to painting it. The vodka and gel should work very well as you want very little dampness on your paintbrush as you can cause the image to run if the paint brush has too much liquid on it. You want to paint by dabbing it lightly rather than dragging the paintbrush across the image as not only can you cause a smear, but you can rip the paper.

Please do not think that edible pictures are all the quality of Walmarts. The most definately are not. Not only can you get much better quality prints, there are different types of icing sheets out there that give much better results.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%