Question About The Flag Cake

Decorating By lam159 Updated 7 Jul 2010 , 5:43pm by lam159

lam159 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 29

Has anyone seen that flag cake that was pictured on here a little while ago? It had red and white layers and the blue where the stars go? I am going to attempt to make that tonight and I had a thought about "putting stars in it". I need some advice if possible. Instead of using bc icing and i going to use a whipped cream icing...hopefully that will cut down on the sweetness of the cake. But in order to do "stars" I was thinking about just pipping "squirting" some icing into the blue part of the cake. Do you think that would work? Also, should I do while the cake is still warm or wait until it cools completly? Thank you!!!! icon_smile.gif

28 replies
lam159 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 29

Let me explain when I said "squirt"...i should say more like dots...small dots throughout the blue cake. Do you think it would turn out with the effect that i am looking for?

poohsmomma Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 29

How about white baking chips?

cheatize Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 29

How would you get them exactly where you want them to be once it's baked?

lam159 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 9:18am
post #5 of 29

I was thinking about this yesterday...I don't think the whipped icing would work. What I thought about was making a white cake batter and use that for the stars. Of course in a much smaller version and I would "mix it". I made the cake last night, and I think it was a disaster. My cake didn't rise enough in my opinion so I didn't get a lot of torted layers (which I can solve that by using 2 boxes of cake mix instead one) and I think the whipped icing needs some improvement. It tasted good, but I am wondering if I could use mirang (sorry its early) powder or even the dream whip so it holds up better. It seemed to soften or possibly "melt" to fast. The ingredients where simple: cream cheese, reg. sugar, salt, vanilla, and heavy whipping cream. mix all ingredients except for whipping cream...whip that separately and fold into cream cheese mixture. I don't know if I folded to much and the air came out of the whipped cream or what. But, I noticed that you could see "spots" or even patches of cream cheese and the whipped cream. I am going to play with it and see what happens. I really want to make this for Sunday. It's going to be in the 90's all weekend here and it definitely would not last! I like the white baking chips idea. and to answer Cheatize's question, if your referring to the white baking chips, I think it would have to wing it and see how it comes out. If anyone has any more suggestions, I would love to hear them!!! Thanks to all!!!

kger Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:03pm
post #6 of 29

You could also try white sprinkles/jimmies. The rainbow sprinkles are used to make funfetti cake, so I would think white would have a similar effect.

lam159 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:15pm
post #7 of 29

Kger...could you explain that a little more? I like the idea, but I am not sure on how to do that. Unless i could mix the sprinkles into the batter before I bake it. I don't know if they would turn blue or not.

Poohsmomma...do you think i could mix the white baking chips into the batter...i am trying to visualize...i think that might work a little better since the chips are a bit bigger.

my brain is running into overdrive with these ideas and i am stuck at work!!! uuggghhhh! i really can't stand it when my job interferes with my personal life!!!

artscallion Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:24pm
post #8 of 29

Or you could keep it simple and just do a blue/white marble cake. It wouldn't really be stars. But it would be like an abstract expression of the field of stars. Aaaaand, it would be really easy.

lam159 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:31pm
post #9 of 29

lol...at first when i read your answer artscallion...i had a wierd look on my face...but once i actually visualized it in my head...that actually might not be a bad idea! i think that would actually look pretty cool. i think i will do it that way for work and try a different method for sunday and see which one i like better!!! any ideas on the whipped icing/frosting???

artscallion Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:43pm
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by lam159

...any ideas on the whipped icing/frosting???

The thing is, when you slice the cake, you're just going to see whatever randomly lands in that one fine cut line of blue. And unless you pipe tons of dots in there (which might make the cake unstable) I would worry that you'd get lot's of slices that show only one or two white dots in them (whether it's icing or chips) with most of the dots hidden inside the slice.

Of course when you're eating the slice you'll see them. But I think the impression of the layed out slice is what makes folk "ooh" and "aah"

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

lam159 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:00pm
post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by lam159

I was thinking about this yesterday...I don't think the whipped icing would work. What I thought about was making a white cake batter and use that for the stars. Of course in a much smaller version and I would "mix it". I made the cake last night, and I think it was a disaster. My cake didn't rise enough in my opinion so I didn't get a lot of torted layers (which I can solve that by using 2 boxes of cake mix instead one) and I think the whipped icing needs some improvement. It tasted good, but I am wondering if I could use mirang (sorry its early) powder or even the dream whip so it holds up better. It seemed to soften or possibly "melt" to fast. The ingredients where simple: cream cheese, reg. sugar, salt, vanilla, and heavy whipping cream. mix all ingredients except for whipping cream...whip that separately and fold into cream cheese mixture. I don't know if I folded to much and the air came out of the whipped cream or what. But, I noticed that you could see "spots" or even patches of cream cheese and the whipped cream. I am going to play with it and see what happens. I really want to make this for Sunday. It's going to be in the 90's all weekend here and it definitely would not last! I like the white baking chips idea. and to answer Cheatize's question, if your referring to the white baking chips, I think it would have to wing it and see how it comes out. If anyone has any more suggestions, I would love to hear them!!! Thanks to all!!!

lam159 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:01pm
post #12 of 29

ok..that didn't work!!! lol

lam159 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:05pm
post #13 of 29

well, after looking at the pic of the cake again...i know one thing i did wrong!! i didn't cut the cake right for the blue! i think you may be right about what you said...the more i keep thinking about it...i may have to agree with you. unless i was going to make a huge one...i would try something. but since its only going to be probably 12", just leave it alone. Don't fix it if it's not broke, right?!

ok...now, back to my issue with the whipped icing...any suggestions on it?

I think the whipped icing needs some improvement. It tasted good, but I am wondering if I could use mirang (sorry its early) powder or even the dream whip so it holds up better. It seemed to soften or possibly "melt" to fast. The ingredients where simple: cream cheese, reg. sugar, salt, vanilla, and heavy whipping cream. mix all ingredients except for whipping cream...whip that separately and fold into cream cheese mixture. I don't know if I folded to much and the air came out of the whipped cream or what. But, I noticed that you could see "spots" or even patches of cream cheese and the whipped cream.

Parable Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:27pm
post #14 of 29

Soooooo, Iam159, how did yours turn out?

I too fell in love with this cake idea and attempted my own version. I actually used white chocolate chips in the blue batter. Even coated them with flour before stirring into the batter. Unfortunately, they all still sank to the bottom and created a candy crust. I cut this part off. Will def try again next year. Maybe dropping the chips into the batter in the pans instead.

Another thing I did differently was to bake each stripe separately. I have done this before with a 14 layer (doberge) cake I made for my daughter's birthday last year. It is a little tricky and my finished flag cakes only had 11 layers instead of 13, but oh well. Better than trying to tort such thin layers. Finally, I used both parts (ring and circle) of the blue cake to make two separate cakes. Didn't want any to go to waste and wasn't in the mood to make cake balls.

I would love to know how many others made the hidden flag cake this year!! And what suggestions they have for tweaking it.

Jeana77 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:58pm
post #15 of 29

I attempted to make this cake too! I used red velvet cake and whipped topping between each layer. It worked, but the white layer was very thin compared to the red layers. For the blue, I took vanilla ice cream and added blue food color to it and added a handful of mini-marshmallows cut in half and mixed it all up. I put it in a pan lined with saran wrap and stuck it back in the freezer to set up. When it was solid, I placed it in the cake. Obviously, the cake had to be froze to keep the ice cream from melting. It turned out pretty good. The marshmallows worked awesome in the blue ice cream! Next time I think I will use alternating layers of red velvet cake and white cake with the whipped topping in between layers to give it more definition of the stripes.

lam159 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 9:50am
post #16 of 29

I never thought of the marshmallows! I tried a whipped cream icing on the first one i made, i wasn't bad. I put the blue cake in wrong so it didn't give the effect of the flag. Well, some parts of the cake it did. I thought this cake was a pain in the butt to make!!! I don't think I would make it again. Although, I like your idea of baking each layer separately. It would take some time to do it, but you wouldn't have to tort it into the thin layers. I think that was one of the worst parts about that cake! How did you make your whipped topping Jeana77? It was in the 90's all weekend in PA so I don't know how it would have stood up. I sized my blue cake up wrong..I used a 6" cake pan and used the wrong side! So with the extra blue cake I had, I was cutting and trying to fill in the blanks!! lol It was horrible! I will try and post some pics of it. I have a lot of pics to upload on here I just haven't had a chance to sit at the computer for that long!! I will definitely let you know when I get them up!

Jeana77 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 1:15pm
post #17 of 29

I just used Cool Whip to put in between the layers and frosted it with Cool Whip also. I use Cool Whip on alot of my cakes (see my photos). Like I said, it worked okay but obviously the white stripes were NOT as prominent as the red stripes. I didn't post a picture of the flag cake for this reason! It is really hot and humid where I am at too, but I didn't have to worry about it because I kept the cake frozen due to the blue star part being ice cream.

lam159 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 1:19pm
post #18 of 29

Wow! You used Cool Whip for the Oscar and the birthday cake? It looks really smooth and silky. It doesn't melt or get soft?

Jeana77 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 1:37pm
post #19 of 29

I stand right next to my fridge when frosting the cake and put what I'm not using in the fridge to keep it cool. It has to be done fairly quickly because once it does get too soft it starts to melt and there is NO fixing it!

lam159 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 1:43pm
post #20 of 29

Do you add any meringue powder or cream of tartar? Did you even use it to decorate with? I am in amazement...can you tell?! lol

Jeana77 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:30pm
post #21 of 29

I just use the Cool Whip straight out of the tub (thawed, of course). I do not add anything to it. The Cool Whip brand works best vs. other brands. It seems to hold up better. I use a Pampered Chef Easy Accent Decorator for the borders. It is a made of hard plastic and has a handle on it. This seems to work the best because the heat of your hands will melt the Cool Whip almost immediately. When I do the borders, I only fill the decorator about half full and work in small portions, otherwise it tends to get bubbly. The container of Cool Whip stays in the fridge the whole time and I only take it out when I need it. Hope this makes sense!

StacyR Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:49pm
post #22 of 29

I copied the cake this weekend, but didn't bother with trying to put stars in the blue. I did use white cake as the white stripes since she said it was so sweet with icing layered stripes. The response was awesome. I'll be making more of these designs.

By the way, the original cake was made by themaytrix and it was featured on Sunday Sweets on Cakewrecks this weekend. Congratulations themaytrix!

http://www.cakewrecks.com/search?updated-max=2010-07-05T09%3A30%3A00-04%3A00&max-results=3

Stacy

lam159 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:49pm
post #23 of 29

So I am assuming your cakes have to be kept in the fridge? You can't have them sit out for very long can you? I am wondering if you would/could put meringue powder, cream of tartar, or even the dream whip in it if that would keep it stiff longer? ummm

lam159 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:54pm
post #24 of 29

I just looked at that site...I am soo impressed on how she got her layers so even! i tried using the cake leveler...it just wasn't going my way! I didn't start making it until late Saturday night and did the putting together on Sunday...I admit i was rushed and my mind DEFINITELY wasn't on this cake!!!

lam159 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:55pm
post #25 of 29

If I do attempt to do this cake in the future, I will absolutely reconsider and try the white cake and red cake...I think that is a much better idea!

StacyR Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 5:16pm
post #26 of 29

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1733016⊂=1733018

I colored the white cake red and that was a challenge. It just doesn't get red enough. Red velvet will be the way I go next time. My cake was room temperature so it didn't cut pretty. I think that may have made a difference. Maybe. Either way, this was so much fun!

lam159 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 5:20pm
post #27 of 29

I know what you mean StacyR. My first attempt on this cake, the colors turned out good. The second time, not as good. I ran out of food color so I had to make due with what I had.

BakedAlaska Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 5:40pm
post #28 of 29

I also made this cake this past weekend.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1732090

I thought it turned out great. I did the same as Parable and coated white chips with flour before stirring them into the blue batter. They dispersed well enough, but they weren't super visible in the end result.

Next time, I think I'll try the white sprinkles idea someone mentioned.

The only complaint I have about this cake is that due to the 6 white frosting stripes it was SUPER SWEET! I'm not a big frosting fan, so that was way too much... Other than that, the cake was a hit and the slices looked just like flags! Hooray!

lam159 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 5:43pm
post #29 of 29

You did a good job BakedAlaska. I uploaded a few pics...the pics didn't turn out and you really can't get a clear pic...which might be a good thing! lol icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%