Help, Am I Doing This Right???

Decorating By HobbyCaker Updated 3 Jul 2010 , 11:01pm by missyd4e

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:23pm
post #1 of 26

Ok, so I am practicing on a dummy cake. Trying to learn new techniques. I have seen this skirting on many beautiful cakes and want to learn how to do it. This is what I have so far, any pointers, or am I just doing it all wrong? TIA
LL

25 replies
Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 26

That looks great! Are they strips or on long piece of fondant?

HobbyCaker Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 26

It is several long pieces (approx. 8" x 10") that I have folded in the middle to give it a pleated look.

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:45pm
post #4 of 26

I've never treid it, but it looks great! Now I'm curious how you're laying them and sticking them down.

HobbyCaker Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 26

Since I am just practicing, they are not attached yet, but will use RI or just water to attach them when I get the right look. I rolled out my fondant, then formed the pleat, then bunched up the top and layed them on the cake, I have tried to hide the edge of the next one on each one, but not very good at that part yet. I am sure there is an easier/better way, hopefully someone who has done it will post how they have done it and it will all make sense. HA!

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 26

Funny, you came on here for advice and we all love what you did and we are trying to get advice from you.

That's how we all learn. I love Cake Central.

HobbyCaker Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 5:01pm
post #7 of 26

Echooo3, Yep, that is what I love about CC too, everyone is always so helpful. I am originally from Leesburg, grew up not too far from where you are.

HobbyCaker Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 6:20pm
post #8 of 26

Finished, I wish that it had crisper pleats, but oh well. I sprayed it with Edible Pearl, my camera sucks, putting that on the Xmas list. Wow, I really wish someone else that has done this would come on and give me some pointers.
LL

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 6:23pm
post #9 of 26

pleats look GREAT...

after all -- do you want it to look like some OCD person came long with an iron and gave it razor crisp pleats???

fabric is soft and flowing and rounded -- just like what you've accomplished here.

GREAT JOB!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 6:25pm
post #10 of 26

By crispier do you mean stand out on their own more? Did you use straight fondant? If you mixed in gum-tex, tylose or gumpaste, it would have helped hold the shape more rather than molding to what was under it.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 6:33pm
post #11 of 26

I think your pleats look spectacular just like they are.

HobbyCaker Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 6:50pm
post #12 of 26

Thank you guys and gals,

Doug, you are not only helpful when it comes to designing hexagon cutting guides for me, you are just down right nice. OCD, well you got me, I'm working on that one.

TexasSugar, yes, that is kind of what I wanted, so will try some tylose next time, I think I might have pushed the center pleat in too close to the dummy.

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate you help and opinions.

hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 6:58pm
post #13 of 26

I think you did a great job. My only suggestion would have been to let it puddle at the bottom.

HobbyCaker Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 7:04pm
post #14 of 26

hamie, I agree, next time I am going to allow more for the pillowing at the bottom, what do you think, just tuck the fondant up under its edge to achieve that look? I am picturing several ways to do it, what would be the best? This self-teaching yourself is definitley a trial and error thing.

Wow hamie, I love the round cake with the draping in your gallery, gonna try that technique next I think!

caleyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caleyb Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 8:40pm
post #15 of 26

It looks great!!! You can teach me now!

ElmwoodHero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElmwoodHero Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:21am
post #16 of 26

they look great! maybe a little more wavy?

HobbyCaker Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:19am
post #17 of 26

Ok, got the whole dummy cake finished, did a different technique on each tier. Learned a lot on this one, especially the "what not to do's" Fondant Pearls, a couple words I don't want to hear for a while, ha! Thanks again everyone for your comments.
LL

Marianna46 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 11:13am
post #18 of 26

Wow! It was certainly worth the effort, wasn't it? What a beautiful cake!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:53pm
post #19 of 26

very nice.

so elegant!

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:03pm
post #20 of 26

Oh. so lovely!!!
Your pleats turned out just lovely! icon_smile.gif

Fondant pearls..so agree with never wanting to hear those words for awile after making my very first wedding cake.

316 of them, I think...ugh.

Where did you get the edible pearl spray, if you don't mind me asking? It sounds like it might be easier that painting on pearl dust icon_smile.gif

ed'td for spelling

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:12pm
post #21 of 26

I believe the only thing you did wrong is it is on a cake dummy! icon_wink.gif How are you going to eat that lovely creation now?

Beautiful work. Pat yourself on the back. I think it looks great.

HobbyCaker Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 5:58pm
post #22 of 26

Thank you all again, I am sooo proud of this dummy cake, and LindaF you are right, too bad it isn't real. CBmom, I bought the Edible pearl spray from CK Products, It is made by ChefMaster and comes in a 2 oz can. I have also purchased it from www.fondantsource.com, I believe they carry a different brand by PME. Just bought an airbrush so have to learn how to use it now, ha! Thanks again for all the great advice and critique!

Marianna46 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 8:00pm
post #23 of 26

Let me just congratulate you again! I see your cake was in one of the top spots of the "Most Saved Cakes" probably not 5 minutes after you posted it. I certainly put it in my favorites the second I saw it!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 9:58pm
post #24 of 26

Can't wait to try this technique....your cake is just beautiful thumbs_up.gif

HobbyCaker Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 10:36pm
post #25 of 26

Marianna46 and mamawrobin- thank you!

I sit here and look at the faux cake, and think "Wow, I did that" and am just so very proud of myself.

I have had a gradual progression of getting more comfortable with fondant, don't know why it scared me in the first place, but it did! icon_eek.gif

So everyone keep the tutorials, advice and tips a coming! thumbs_up.gif

missyd4e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyd4e Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 11:01pm
post #26 of 26

WOW! This cake is beautiful. The drapes look spectacular after you got the whole cake together. Great job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%