Margarita Cupcake Recipe...

Baking By Julie53 Updated 1 Jul 2010 , 9:00pm by TexasSugar

Julie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie53 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 5

HI, has anyone tried this Margarita Cupcake recipe without the Triplesec? I wanted to make them for this w/e, and I don't have that. I would like it to have flavor and not be lemon cupcakes (as someone on here has said). Do you think it would work using everything else? Thanks!

4 replies
nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 5

I assume you are referring to the recipe with lemon cake mix and lemon pudding? Either way I don't think you will miss the triplesec or you could use grand marnier. But I would try to introduce some lime flavor. I made margarita cupcakes earlier this week and they were a hit! Here is what I did....

White cake mix (I used recipe with pudding, some have suggested not to but that's what I had and it came out fine) prepared as directed except for the water I substituted liquid margarita mix (without alcohol). I did add a splash of grand marnier but could not taste it in the end.

I mixed 1/4 cup of lime curd with 2 cups of indydeb's icing (because I had some left over) and used that to fill my cupcakes. I had to add a touch of green color because it came out an unappetizing pale gray color initially. The sweetness of the frosting really worked well with the tang of the lime curd.

Then I made a Wilton buttercream (3 cup recipe) using half crisco and half butter. Added a shot of tequilla, and fresh lime juice for the liquid. I also added the zest of one lime. You could smell the tequilla and only slightly taste it. It was not an overwhelming alcohol taste.

I was tempted to add a sprinkle of salt to the top but was afraid so I added green sugar for a slight crunch. I should go home and try a sprinkle of salt on one of my leftovers I think it would really compliment the flavors.

I was a very fresh, limey(but not too much) cupcake. Hope that helps!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie53 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you so much nonilm for sharing that recipe. I will have to try that.
Also Texas Sugar thank you for the Wilton recipe. I don't know why but I always go to the recipes on CC before I would think to check out the Wilton recipes. Go figure!
Thanks guys...

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:00pm
post #5 of 5

I forget they have them too. I ran across that one yesterday so that is why I remembered it. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%