Where Do You Get Your Glycerine?

Decorating By ponderiffic Updated 1 Jul 2010 , 4:22pm by ElmwoodHero

ponderiffic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ponderiffic Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 7

I have been making Michelle Foster's fondant recipe for a while now and always buy my glycerine in those tiny containers Wilton makes, which are about 3 dollars each. It seems like there must be a better and more cost effective way to get the glycerine I need for this recipe. I thought I had read that someone had found it at Walmart so I started looking for it the other day. I found glycerine, but they were SUPPOSITORIES!! I cannot see myself giving my fondant a suppository. Please help! Where can I find a larger bottle of glycerine?

6 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 7

Most Pharmacies carry liquid glycerine safe for oral intake.

pinky73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinky73 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 7

ALthough I haven't used it yet, I called my local small town pharmacy and asked if they had glycerin..they can order it for me and it's only a few dollars.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky73

ALthough I haven't used it yet, I called my local small town pharmacy and asked if they had glycerin..they can order it for me and it's only a few dollars.

Check the label. If it doesn't list glycerin as the ONLY ingredient it isn't "food grade" glycerin and shouldn't be used for making fondant. My pharmacist ordered some for me as well. It had like 1% anhydrous listed on the ingredient label and 99% glycerin. They ordered twice more for me and apparently the only glycerin available for them to order was not food grade glycerin. So..be careful when ordering through a pharmacy. Both of the other glycerin's that they ordered for me had other "additives" besides the glycerin. The label needs to read 100% glycerin, and the ingredient label should list only one ingredient......glycerin.

pinky73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinky73 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 7

ooooohhhh....really good info, thank you. I don't know if I would have thought to check that!

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 7

I get it at my cake supply store in Orlando, D&G Occasions. Also I'm sure www.fondantsource.com carries it, they are in Kissimmee, FL.

Both of them have websites and sell it.

ElmwoodHero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElmwoodHero Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:22pm
post #7 of 7

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ZMEYXC/?tag=cakecentral-20

This is where I get my glycerin. It is food grade and a lot cheaper than the wilton stuff[/url]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%