Ganache Help

Decorating By diamondsmom Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 11:08am by diamondsmom

diamondsmom Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 12:46pm
post #1 of 3

Hi Guys,

I have a sweet 16 cake due Saturday and wanted to try the ganache under fondant in order to get that sharp edge look.

I am having difficulties with the sides of the cake. I torted the cake and filled, but the dam that i piped seems to be bulging out around the sides so there's a bulging look around the cake.

I also poured the ganache untop of the cake and let it run down the sides then I used the spatula to smooth if out a bit.

Can you guys please help me on how to get that perfect looking ganached cake (i'm using the 2:1 Ratio)16ozs chocolate to 8ozs cream. Thanks....

2 replies
mamawrobin Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 3

I use the 2:1 ratio but I have never poured my ganache over my cake. I make my ganache 24 hours ahead of time and let it sit (at room temperature) to thicken. It has the consistency of peanut butter when I spread it onto my cake. I smooth the ganache using the hot knife method. This gives a nice firm foundation for my fondant. Never have done it the way you've described for using under fondant.

diamondsmom Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 11:08am
post #3 of 3

OMG......thankyou..I guess that's what i've been doing wrong. Trying to pour it while it was still warm on the cake.

I would give another try the right way......thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%