How Far In Advance Can I Decorate Cake?

Decorating By nelikate Updated 1 Jul 2010 , 1:39pm by nelikate

nelikate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nelikate Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 11:15am
post #1 of 5

Hi all

I have 80 cupcakes and a 3D soccer ball due for delivery on Tuesday night for a Wednesday morning birthday party. The cupcakes will be decorated with a layer of butter cream and fondant and the 3d soccer ball decorated in fondant.

I will be baking on Friday & Saturday & putting in the freezer for at least a night - helps get a more moist cake.

Can I decorate Sunday and Monday night for Wednesday? I work during the day so cannot decorate on Monday or Tuesday during the day which I would prefer.

thanks
Nel

4 replies
tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 11:36am
post #2 of 5

I usually bake during the week and freeze. Thursday- Pull them out of freezer, crumbcoat,fill,ice. Friday-stack, decorate. Saturday-deliver.

I think your cakes will be fine!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 12:38pm
post #3 of 5

Are you putting the cupcakes in the freezer unfrosted? There was a discussion here on the cupcake forum on how freezing the cupcakes gives them a sticky top. Do you get that? Do you get that when you freeze cakes too?

I have never froze a cake. So I'm curious about this.
Thanks.

nelikate Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 1:25pm
post #4 of 5

Hi Linda

I make gluten free cakes and find it best to freeze them even if only for a day. I also work full time so tend to bake 1 or 2 weeks before I need to decorate.

Wrap the cakes well in cling wrap. I found it doesn't matter if I let them cool completely before wrapping or not. But prefer to do it about an 1/2 hour after cooling on the bench.

I haven't tried to freeze cupcakes as I'm normally only doing one batch at a time. I'm getting very worried that I have bitten off more than I can chew with 80!

When I refrigerate cupcakes in a plastic container without individually wrapping I get a sticky top. I'm hoping by putting in zip-lock bags individually this wont happen.

I started a thread last week about freezing cupcakes and got some good suggestions: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-685005-.html (I never did get the chance to make the test batch).

Nel

nelikate Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 1:39pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks Tarheelgirl. You've put my mind at ease.

Even though I don't sell cakes - the mother of the birthday boy is only paying for supplies - I would hate to give a bad cake/cupcakes.

It's funny I thought I was ready (except for the license) to open a cake decorating business until I took on this challenge and it sunk in... I don't have enough experience or knowledge yet. - I cant decide I don't have time this week and change the plans when its a paying customer or non family member who has ordered a specific cake.

Oh well on with the learning and free cakes icon_smile.gif

Nel

P.S sorry for the rant, This week I haven't entered my kitchen once because I am working 12 hr days and am starting to freak out a bit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%