How To Make A Leopard Print

Decorating By alleykat1 Updated 29 Jul 2010 , 9:27pm by Rosie2

alleykat1 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 6:43am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone
I need to do a leopard print cake this weekend any tips on how to get the leopard print???

5 replies
IsaSW Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 6

Never done it before, but I would try coloring fondant in a shade of tan, then making out of a real potato, the stamp, and then with a darker shade of the tan, stamping and then with two different stamps made out of the potato too, stamping black on top of the already stamped area.
I think it should work. Make sure you test it on a piece of fondant first and not the real cake.

Marianna46 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 6

This is something I've always wanted to know how to do, too. The only problem with the potato stamp idea - which is a very good idea for some things, by the way - is that on the leopard print cakes I've seen, every spot is a little different (I'm not sure how real leopards look - I guess I should Google a picture of one!). Would anybody who's done this like to help us out? We'd be eternally grateful!

BeanCountingBaker Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 7:00pm
post #4 of 6

I've not done it, but the potato trick sounds promising. You could use two potatoes and cut them in half then carve unique shapes to stamp on the fondant. Two potatoes would make 4 different shapes, and turning the stamps different directions would make a nice varied pattern.

cake_momma_ Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 6

I did a leopard print shoe once, started with tan fondant.... then painted random "spots" with darker brown. Then I went over each spot and outlined with black. Not sure if I can find a pic.... I'm not on my own computer I'll try and post if I can.

Rosie2 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 9:27pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you, great information!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%