Opening A New Cake Business Website

Business By CocoaBlondie Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 4:06pm by cownsj

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:00pm
post #31 of 38
Quote:
Quote:

If you hire an outside company, you will have to pay everytime you need to make a change to your site.

Not necessarily...as long as you let the company know that you need a site set up that you can update yourself, then they can incorporate a user-friendly management system where you can upload your own pics, change text, etc.

Joshua_Alan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshua_Alan Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:49pm
post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy619

Quote:
Quote:

If you hire an outside company, you will have to pay everytime you need to make a change to your site.

Not necessarily...as long as you let the company know that you need a site set up that you can update yourself, then they can incorporate a user-friendly management system where you can upload your own pics, change text, etc.

Egggsactly. As an 'IT Guy' (really I'm a Principal Systems Admin and Network Engineer) who's been designing websites for about 10 years, the key is to get a site designed that anyone can update without having to pay someone else to do it for you.

There are plenty of other options out there as well if you're just a bit computer savvy. For instance, you can buy a template and customize it to fit your needs. Or like most people, you can go with the free sites and site builders that have been mentioned. My only gripe with those, is that they just don't look professional. I mean, we put all these work into making our cakes look outstanding and then display them on a less than stellar canvas? Best one I've seen so far is Pink Cake Box http://www.pinkcakebox.com/ but I promise you they paid dearly for that. Maybe I should start doing cake websites for a living icon_wink.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:58pm
post #33 of 38

I use freewebs for mine and it's totally free, I chose after about a yr. or so (and after at least 100 cake photos were uploaded) to pay $4.95/mo. to have unlimited upload space (all my photos were HUGE, I never reduced the sizes DUH and didn't want to have to go back and resize 100's of photos) and with that $4.95 I have no popups and several other features. I've had the site for about 3 years now and have been very happy, have had little to no trouble with ANYTHING in the 3 years and anytime I have a question about something I always get an aswer VERY quickly from tech support. I'm not THAT computer savvy, just tinkered around and figured out how to use all the applications on my own, so I know it MUST be simple LOL

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:01pm
post #34 of 38

[quote="CocoaBlondie"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Wow, I just panned up & read this. That stinks for your husband. I'm a licensed & legal bakery. Really though were all just trying to make beautiful delicious cakes right. Hope everything works out for you guys.

Thanks CocoaBlondie. They don't give up either. All of a sudden we have someone each week calling to order a cake from us, and "offering" to come to the house to work out the details. We've never had this happen before. Last week the woman who was calling, called somewhere between 30 - 40 times in one day. Who is that desperate for a cake? Especially when they've never had a custom cake before.... And that was no exageration either. And she would start calling at 8 am. Yet, when I did finally call her back, all I got was her machine, minutes after her last call to me. Gimme a break.

I do know alot of this is politics, which is rediculous. Last year my husband was asked to do a cake for the annual township fair, and he said yes, but that he would have to get a design worked out well in advance since so many things take alot of time. They couldn't be bothered, so 10 days before the event he emailed and said he could no longer do the cake for them. This year it's different people running the event and they asked me (the head of the committee is a friend), and I said yes. The woman from the health dept. told our mayor that if only "I" wouldn't do a cake for the event........ So, even without doing anything wrong, there are still people who will try to make your life miserable. I'm still fighting with them.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:21pm
post #35 of 38

We used a site called rentacoder.com. This is a site that has 1000's of website designers. You post what you want built and what you are willing to pay. Designers will bid on your work and you decide who you want to build it.

Then, you pay the rentacoder.com site. However, the designer will not be paid until you are happy with it. Two great things about this is that you know you will get what you want and won't be out any money until that happens. The designer knows that they will get paid.

When we first started, we just wanted a site up. We had already gotten the domain name from godaddy. We just wanted our name, some photos and contact information. We got bids as low as $5 but we paid $30 to someone else we liked. All of the designers are rated by previous customers. The site was up within 24 hours.

A little later, we finally got focused on the website and put it out for bid. We made sure as part of our requirements that we had update and maintainability rights and some basic instructions on how to do some specific things. We got exactly what we wanted and our designed has even checked back with us to make sure things are running correctly. We are planning some upgrades that we could do but it's just the time to figure it out. We'll probably go back to rentacoder and make sure that the developer that created it knows about it so he can bid. It's a really cool way to get a website for what you want to pay.

Joshua_Alan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshua_Alan Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:28pm
post #36 of 38
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CbyA

All the people who has a website are 'legal'??? Sorry I always wonder that...icon_smile.gif

...and just went online and took other cake photos...

Just a word of caution, this in itself may not be 'legal'. We always talk about the licensing issues involving character cakes etc, but it's worth mentioning that unless the photos used were stock photos that you've paid for the rights to use, or were offered for free in the public domain you could be guilty of copyright infringement here.

While I'm sure this was done with the purest intentions, all it takes is for one photographer to see their work being used w/o their permission to start a lawsuit.

cownsj Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:05pm
post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_Alan

Quote:

Quote:

All the people who has a website are 'legal'??? Sorry I always wonder that...icon_smile.gif

Just a word of caution, this in itself may not be 'legal'. We always talk about the licensing issues involving character cakes etc, but it's worth mentioning that unless the photos used were stock photos that you've paid for the rights to use, or were offered for free in the public domain you could be guilty of copyright infringement here.

While I'm sure this was done with the purest intentions, all it takes is for one photographer to see their work being used w/o their permission to start a lawsuit.

Thanks Joshua_Alan. I do realize this, and did at the time. It was our friend who did it. We wanted to remove them immediately, but since we couldn't access anything to make changes we were stuck. They got in only the one time, and haven't been able to figure out how to again. Now, we pretty much have to keep them there whether we want to or not (and we still can't access the site), because we may have to prove that the photos on the site don't belong to him. My husband would never show someone else's work as his own. While it was great that our friend wanted to help so much, this is what can happen very innocently.

cownsj Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:06pm
post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_Alan

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks Joshua_Alan. I do realize this, and did at the time. It was our friend who did it. We wanted to remove them immediately, but since we couldn't access anything to make changes we were stuck. They got in only the one time, and haven't been able to figure out how to again. Now, we pretty much have to keep them there whether we want to or not (and we still can't access the site), because we may have to prove that the photos on the site don't belong to him. My husband would never show someone else's work as his own. While it was great that our friend wanted to help so much, this is what can happen very innocently.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%