These Will Be My Prices

Decorating By yndara Updated 6 Jul 2010 , 1:46pm by LeckieAnne

yndara Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 1:40am
post #1 of 8

girls I am new to this business by reading the forum and many of the recommendations I thought these prices for my cakesI want to know if these prices are well

Birthday

8" or 9" Butter cream $ 30 Whippincream $40 fondant $40

10" $/. 40- $/. 40 - $/. 50

9x13 $/. 40 - $/. 50 - $/.60

11x 15 $/.70 - $/.70 - $/. 80

2 molds x 11x15 $/.120 - $/.130 - $/.150

also depends on the type of cake that customers want

prices may vary depends on the filling and decoration..

for wendding cakes

I will use ONLY Artificial flowers.

CAKES WITH THIS
Whippingcream x person $/.2.50

Buttercream x person $/.2.50

Fondant UP $/. 3.00

That IS DEPENDING on the model the customer want, as levels shows our friend on her page..http://www.cakes-divine.com/weddingcakes.html
and others ladys in the forum

FOR EXAMPLE if they want sugar flowers I would charge more for my work

what do you think?

7 replies
dm321 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:18am
post #2 of 8

Well, this is certainly interesting. Are these prices actually based on any specific calculations or did you just make them up? If you based them on cost of raw materials, labor, time, overhead, etc., then sounds like you've got it all figured out..?

Good luck!
~diem

Ursula40 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 5:44am
post #3 of 8

It all also depends on your location and the prices YOU have to pay for the ingredients.

How much profit will you make per cake? How many hours do you spend on decorating let's say a "simple" cake, by that I would include baking time, buttercream making/colouring time and a simple icing of sides and top with piped borders, nothing fanzy, perhaps with just a saying like happy bday on it.
I know, that with the prices I have to pay for the ingredients alone, I could not justify turning on my oven for just 30 $, but then I live in CH. and use imported products, plus I have to order all my stuff online and pay way more for shipping than you guys do.
Do you have any pictures of cakes you have made? Would help us in seeing your decorating level

Sagebrush Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 6:49am
post #4 of 8

I don't understand your pricing matrix at all.

Why is an 8" round in whippincream, which serves 24, the same price as a 10" round in whippincream, which serves 32?

At the bottom you say you're going to charge per serving:

Buttercream and Whipping cream, $2.50/serving, and fondant $3.00 per serving...

But the prices you list up top come out like this per serving (all prices listed buttercream, whippincream, fondant):

8": $1.25; $1.67; $1.67 (it's even lower for 9")
10": $1.25; $1.25; $1.56
9"x13": $0.80; $1.00; $1.20
11"x15": $0.96; $0.96; $1.08
2 molds 11"x15": $0.94; $1.02; $1.17

Your prices for specific sized cakes here are not at all consistent type to type, nor do they even come close to the prices you list below (in most cases they are half or LESS), and I would have to say they are very, very low... even for lower income areas of the country.

My guess is with these prices you won't make any profit, and will burnout because you put in a lot of effort for zero or little monetary reward.

So, my question is this... do you know your costs? Will these prices cover your costs? If so, do they compensate you at all for the time you spend on the cakes? If so, is that compensation enough to make it worth your spending the amount of time you will on the cake?

If your cost to make the cake (in ingredients, power to run your appliances, gas and time to go to the store to buy the ingredients, etc.) only comes out to be about $0.50 per serving, you've paid $12.00 to make the cake, which leaves $18, and you spend 4 hours putting an 8" buttercream cake together, then you've made $4.50 per hour. That's less than minimum wage. If your cost of ingredients is higher (and I'd have to think it probably is if you really add it all in), then you are getting paid a pittance for all your hard work.

At the very least you should have consistent pricing per serving across all cake sizes. You should also check on the pricing of other bakeries in your area (if you produce a better quality product in terms of taste and/or design, you should absolutely not be charging less than they do). And you absolutely must know your prices and times to insure that you are being compensated fairly, or you'll kill any desire you have to continue doing this.

costumeczar Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 8

Personally the pricing system with different levels is confusing to me, and I don't understand your chart at all. When I start seeing different sections on people's pricing that adds this amount and that amount and upcharge for this that and the other I just say forget it.

If you're going to do it that way I'd simplify the whole thing and do a flat price per serving with the buttercream, whiping cream and fondant cakes having their own charts, not all in the same section based on the size of the cake. Even better, just put a starting base price on your website so that people have an idea about what they're dealing with, and figure out the final charges once the client tells you what they want. Don't throw it all up there at once and make them figure it out.

LeckieAnne Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 8

I haven't yet started selling cakes to anyone I don't know - but am working on getting everything in a row so that I can. I have been working on a basic web page that includes pricing if you want to take a look at it for ideas.

I don't think mine is too confusing. Feel free to correct me or give me any feedback also though. Pricing is at the bottom of the page.

http://sites.google.com/site/lesliebeaudry/the-cakes

Ruth0209 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 4:29pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeckieAnne

I haven't yet started selling cakes to anyone I don't know - but am working on getting everything in a row so that I can. I have been working on a basic web page that includes pricing if you want to take a look at it for ideas.

I don't think mine is too confusing. Feel free to correct me or give me any feedback also though. Pricing is at the bottom of the page.

http://sites.google.com/site/lesliebeaudry/the-cakes

I like your web site. Your cakes look really nice, and your pricing is understandable. I don't, however, understand the personal family pictures. Most don't appear to have anything to do with selling cakes, and I think it detracts from the professionalism of your site. I'd lose those.

LeckieAnne Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:46pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for the feedback! I'm not advertising to sell yet - it's just a mock up I put on my personal site for friends to help me review. When I'm ready to start selling, I'll post it on a "business only" site, and there won't be any personal pictures. I was just hoping that it might help the OP with their pricing.

Thanks again! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%