Cakes Shelf Life

Decorating By Awent9 Updated 1 Jul 2010 , 11:20pm by Marianna46

Awent9 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 1:23am
post #1 of 2

So I did try to do a search on this and didn't find anything so I figured I would just post it... what do you all recommend is the shelf life of a decorated cake in a refrigerated case? I was thinking maybe 3 days... but my work will leave them in over a week and then slice them and sell them for another couple days... I just don't think its right, but I thought I would consult with some professionals on the subject... thanks for any advice!

1 reply
Marianna46 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 2

Iced cakes last for a lot longer than you think. The icing, ganache, fondant or whatever seals the cake and keeps it fresh. And I'm talking about cakes at room temperature. I live in an extremely hot and humid climate and my uncut cakes are still fresh after a week. Cutting, of course, starts the drying-out process, so it's all downhill from there - I'd say two more days tops, and then only if you're really careful about covering the sliced part with plastic wrap. An uncut cake would last a lot more than a week in a refrigerated case, but again, not so long once it's cut.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%