Can't Seem To Get Good Icing...

Baking By lmnettles Updated 1 Jul 2010 , 11:29pm by mamawrobin

lmnettles Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 12:05am
post #1 of 6

I just made a cake tonight and just about everything seemed to be going wrong. The biggest problem thought was the icing. I used Indydebi's oh so tasty bc but I don't know if it was too dry, too stiff, or too thin (I still can't judge consistency very well)...something was off. The icing just wanted to stick to itself and not the cake or basically do anything I wanted it to. To make matters worse, it was a square cake and the corners just were impossible to get straight. The icing was more fluffy than silky and had TONS of air bubbles. I'm sure the problems were all caused by user error and not the recipe. Can anyone shed some insight into where I might have gone wrong?
Thanks and sorry this was so long!

5 replies
mamawrobin Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 7:31am
post #2 of 6

I don't know how you executed the recipe but this is how I do it and I never have any issues with air bubbles or "fluffiness" it's always creamy and sooo easy to smooth. I was never able to get my icing perfectly smooth until I started using her recipe.....here's the step by step of how I make Indydebi's buttercream... Place Crisco (best results using Crisco) in mixing bowl and beat/whip for 15 minutes BEFORE adding any other ingredient. The Crisco will look like sour cream) While my Crisco is mixing I sift all of the powdered sugar into another bowl so that I have it all sifted and ready. With the mixer still running I add about half of the powdered sugar, Dream Whip and 1/2 cup of milk. Once this has blended I add the remaining powdered sugar and vanilla. I let it continue to mix adding about a teaspoon of the REMAINING 2/3 cups milk (less the 1/2 cup that I've already used) I only add about a tsp at a time because it's so easy to add too much , for me anyway....After all of the ingredients have been added continue to let the mixer run for at least 20 minutes. Don't use the paddle attachment for this icing..beaters work better for this recipe...do for me anyway....and I never have any problems with air bubbles. Depending on your climate you may have to add more or less milk. I usually never add the full 2/3 cup per batch but you may have to add that much or even a little more. The icing should be fairly thick but not so thick that you can't spread it or have the issues that you're having. I'd suggest putting your icing back into the mixer and let it whip for awhile longer, adding a tiny bit of milk until I had the consistency that I needed. The longer you whip this icing the creamier it gets. Hope some of this will help

LindaF144a Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 1:00pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Quote:

Don't use the paddle attachment for this icing..beaters work better for this recipe...do for me anyway....and I never have any problems with air bubbles.

Do you make this in a stand mixer? You must with all the time it is spent mixing, but where do you find beaters for a stand mixer?

mamawrobin Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

Quote:
Quote:

Don't use the paddle attachment for this icing..beaters work better for this recipe...do for me anyway....and I never have any problems with air bubbles.

Do you make this in a stand mixer? You must with all the time it is spent mixing, but where do you find beaters for a stand mixer?

Yes I use a stand mixer no way in hell am I using a hand held mixer for all that mixing icon_lol.gif My mixer comes with a beater attachment.

lmnettles Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 5:00pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you mamawrobin! By beater attachement do you mean the whisk or do you have something you bough seperately?

mamawrobin Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 11:29pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmnettles

Thank you mamawrobin! By beater attachement do you mean the whisk or do you have something you bough seperately?

No...unlike most of you..I do not own a KA.. icon_sad.gif I'm cheap icon_lol.gif and I bought a Sunbeam stand mixer. Actually I love it. I make all of my buttercream in it and I also use it to make Michele Foster's fondant. Unlike the KA it has two beaters like a hand mixer only much larger. I never have problems with air in my buttercream. At my work we have a HUGE mixer and it has several different attachments. I have used the paddle attachment but actually have the best results using beaters for this icing. I know that some have said that the paddle attachment works best for sugarshack's buttercream but honestly I have better results using beaters with Indydebi's recipe. Of course I believe that you should do what works for you but it's beaters and not the paddle for me. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%