Help With Square Cake!!! Fat Daddio's Vs Magic Line?

Decorating By CakePubGirl Updated 1 Jul 2010 , 1:00am by sweet_honesty

CakePubGirl Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 6

i have a 5 tier square wedding cake coming up fast and i need to order the 15, 12, and 9 inch square pans asap, or go hunt them down. i know i will find the normal size pans locally but one cake store sells magic line and the other sells fat daddios, which is better for perfect square cakes? also she wants a light pink and white two tone cake with pink polka dots on the white tiers, I planned to do them in fondant, is there some secret to make sure the dots stick? i worry if i use gumpaste the color will fade too much, im still getting experience with gumpaste after all! icon_smile.gif i have considered using gum paste glue or royal icing to stick on the dots, or to see is sticking them on fresh will adhese them?
Thanks in advance! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
Occther Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 6

I prefer Magic Line square pans - nice tight, welded corners - as compared to Fat Daddios' which have more curved corners.

newbaker55 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 12:03am
post #3 of 6

Magic Line all the way!

You say you plan to use fondant...is that for the cake as well as the dots? I haven't used fondant on fondant yet, so can't help you there, but understand from other more experienced folks on here that you can just moisten with water for adhesion.

I have, however, used candy clay decorations on buttercream...just stick 'em on with a bit of icing. Best part is it seems not to fade at all and I've made some VERY bold colors with it. HTH icon_smile.gif

CakePubGirl Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 12:45am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbaker55

Magic Line all the way!

You say you plan to use fondant...is that for the cake as well as the dots? I haven't used fondant on fondant yet, so can't help you there, but understand from other more experienced folks on here that you can just moisten with water for adhesion.

I have, however, used candy clay decorations on buttercream...just stick 'em on with a bit of icing. Best part is it seems not to fade at all and I've made some VERY bold colors with it. HTH icon_smile.gif

yes both of you definitely help! and yes i'm using fondant to cover all 5 tiers and the dots i will use fondant i may do a couple of dots in gumpaste in advance just to test it out. i wish she wanted a lil shimmer added on to the dots but its not what the bride wants! and i am going to be making pearls out of fondant for the borders. i think itll come out pretty with shiimmery pearls against the romantic light pink... last time I made gumpaste flowers i dissolved some gumpaste into a very small amount of water and it held together the heaviest parts of the flower, last time i used water as glue on fondant it kept dissolving away. (the stomache on my mermaid cake kept dissolvng) but water probably would work for this. icon_smile.gif

newbaker55 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 12:55am
post #5 of 6

I think I read that you just barely moisten the fondant. Others will have way better info for you , I'm sure. Have you tried checking in the forums on 'how to's'? Sorry I'm not more help, but I've got fondantphobia icon_lol.gif

sweet_honesty Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 1:00am
post #6 of 6

If you are sticking fondant polka dots on a fondant cake then plain old water works just fine. Just barely moisten the back of the dots and stick em on. I do it all the time with no problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%