Classes To Take In College To Start Own Bakery

Business By nessaLOVE Updated 1 Jul 2010 , 1:23am by cheatize

nessaLOVE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nessaLOVE Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 5

I will be a senior this coming school year so that means applying to colleges, deciding on majors and careers. icon_surprised.gif
But I want to start my own bakery, mainly for chocolate. So, what types of majors should i study in college in order to be able to run my business and have a delicious and successfull bakery? icon_cry.gif

4 replies
jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 5

Marketing, business and accounting. This will help you with the business side of things. Then, take these 4 years to practice your a** off and pefect the skills that can't be taught in school. If, after all that, you still have the passion, then you will be well prepared. If you experience chocolate burnout, then at least you have a good degree to enter into the business world.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 5

100% agreement with Jill. icon_biggrin.gif

Focus on the business, and your ability to run it... and practice. Many here have succeeded without a culinary degree, but none have succeeded without business sense (learned or self taught at the school of hard knocks).

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 11:20pm
post #4 of 5

Oops- double post.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 1:23am
post #5 of 5

I have taken Business Law, Management, Human Resources, Marketing, Salesmanship, Advertising, Principles of Business, 2 different accounting classes, Effective Communications, Business Math, Microeconomics, and on and on and on. That was just for my Associates in Business Management. I'm now pursuing my Bachelors so there's plenty more to come for me!

The majority of these classes are very useful when running your own business.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%