Did I Price Wrong On Mini Cakes?

Decorating By jenny2476 Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 9:12pm by Kitagrl

jenny2476 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny2476 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 5

First request for mini cakes. Brides wants 50 square mini cakes and 50 ball shaped mini cakes. Each cake is covered in either pink or black fondant, covered in luster dust/sparkles and a gumpaste bow on top. 2 different flavours.

I said that the minimum I could do each cake for would be $6. They're still iced and covered in fondant, with a ribbon around the bottom and a gumpaste bow on top, just like a regular cake...and I imagine they'd be a lot more work to do being so small and more intricate.

Well she said that she spoke to someone else and they said they could do it for $3 per cake. I was shocked to be honest! 100 mini cakes would take me all week to make and $3 per cake wouldn't it!

Am I way out of line here? I'm in Southern Ontario and I know I'm a little cheaper than most normally...but this to me seemed way to low!

I'd love to hear what you all think!

Thanks!

4 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 5

For a mini cake, I charge a LOT more. IMO $6. is way cheap for what you are giving her. I charge $2. for a petit four! I would tell her if she found someone to do them for $3. to have at it! icon_eek.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 5

I'd tell her to get a contract from that other person before they chage their mind. Covering a mini ball shape will be a real pain a$$ and $6 wouldn't be enough for me to even think of doing 50 of them.

jenny2476 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny2476 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 9:00pm
post #4 of 5

OK, I'm glad I'm not crazy! I thought $6 was a little low myself and quoted her that before all she requested the bows and sparkles so it probably would have been a bit more, but she said that was way too much.

I think it was for the best anyway...the thought of making 100 these mini cakes wasn't thrilling me at all!

Thanks!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 5

Oh man I wouldn't touch that order for less than $10 each!!!!! Not kidding.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%