Pls Help!!!!!

Baking By queenfa Updated 1 Jul 2010 , 2:51am by CocoaBlondie

queenfa Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 10

All my scratch recipes come out looking soggy like custard on the bottom.No matter what i do or the recipe, the outcome is thesame thing. I tried beating batter slowly and i tried beating for long.I even used baking powder based recipe.I refused to open the oven till cakes are done. In short, i have wasted so much cakes it's unbelivable. The outcomes are different dimensions of custard on the bottom.

Pls help.I don't know what i'm doing wrong.

9 replies
Charmed Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 10

maybe your oven temperature is off and they don't cook all the way through.

CrumblesConfections Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 10

That definitely sounds like a problem with the oven temp. Try baking a box cake and see what the outcome is, if you haven't already. You may need to play around with different oven temps.

queenfa Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 10

Box cakes and doctored ones come out okay all the time icon_sad.gificon_cry.gif ,just the scratch.I tried some recipes from here thesame thing happened all the time. icon_redface.gif

cake-angel Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 10

Could you possibly have your cake positioned too high up in the oven? the farther away from the element the longer for the bottom to cook. I also use a long bamboo skewer for testing cakes so that I can tell for sure that it is done all the way to the bottom.

Ursula40 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 10

Usually cakes cook first on the bottom and the top and last in the middle, no matter where they are in the oven (that's where they start to burn as well, if you leave them too long), unless either too far from the bottom or too far from the top. Either your oven temp setting is off, check temp on different racks, or perhaps you are using the wrong temperature, or leaving them in the pans too long after baking? How do you prepare the pans for baking?
Which setting do you use, what kind of an oven do you have. I have an electrical convestion oven, set the temp a bit lower than the recipe states and my cakes are always done, strictly a scratch baker here

ptanyer Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 10:50pm
post #7 of 10

First of all, spend a few dollars and get you an oven thermometer. Then place it in the middle of your oven and turn on your oven. Set the oven for 350 and when the oven has reached 350, then open the door and check the thermometer and see if it is off at all. Then adjust your temp accordingly. Mine is off 50 degrees, so I bake at 300 to have a 350 temp.

Second, when you take your cakes out of the oven, are you placing them on cooling racks, or just setting them on hot pads on the counter? If you are using cooling racks, then try putting small bowls or cups under the racks to raise them up. If you are using hot pads, then try cooling racks and see what happens.

When the timer goes off and you check the cake with a skewer or toothpick, is it still wet? Are the edges of the cake pulling in from the sides of the cake pans? Do the cakes appear done? Does the top appear dry?

It's really hard to figure out what's going wrong, but we're all willing to help the best we can!

queenfa Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 2:16am
post #8 of 10

Thank you all so much for your responses.

The cakes are usually done and look normal on the top but it sometimes pulls from the pan and shrinks.
Though my oven appears to be hot enough but I had scheduled a maintanance check for it and also getting an oven thermometer tommorow. I am also suspecting that maybe i don't beat my butter and sugar well enough. I was just told by another scratch baker that she usually beats her butter and sugar for about 30 minutes before adding the eggs,I always beat a pound of sugar and butter for less than 3 minutes. Could this be a factor too? I was beating for longer than this but when the cakes will pull from pans and shrink.I was told i was beating for too long. I also cool the cakes in the pans for as long as possible before putting on the racks.

Thanks all.

Doug Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 2:21am
post #9 of 10

cooling in pans a long time could be the problem

I rarely leave mine in longer than 5 min -- and often turn out nearly immediately.

could be getting condensation of steam on bottom cake (trapped by pan) and therefore the custard.

re: creaming -- I never do it by time but by look and feel --- light, fully, smooth (not gritty)

CocoaBlondie Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 2:51am
post #10 of 10

I have this problem to sometimes with my one vanilla recipe. I always thought it was my crappy wilton pans.

Quote by @%username% on %date%