What Are The Benefits Of Having 2 Stand Mixers? If Any...

Decorating By sberryp Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 9:12pm by Ursula40

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 15

My step father brought me a stand mixer, but it was a surprise and I didn't know. he had told me that he brought me a present, but I didn't think that he would buy a stand mixer. Not knowing what he had brought for me, I brought the same stand mixer 2 days before his arrived. (( just got it today.) Should I take it back or keep it? If I should keep it what are the benefits of having 2? Maybe I should keep it in case one breaks because it's know a KA, but I am still very excited. Thanks for letting me share and any suggestions.

14 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 15

Is there something else you can or would do with the money?

I have two stand KA mixer but mine are different sizes. I like having the 6q for bigger projects and a 4.5q for smaller amounts.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 15

I have exactly the same as Texas. The 6 qt is too big for some jobs and the 4.5 is too small for others. So it works. I don't think I'd have a use for two of the same size.

If you don't want to trade one up or down to a different size, another good option is getting extra bowls to fit the one you keep. That way you can switch out one cake batter and start something else without stopping to wash and dry. That's almost the same as having two mixers.

sberryp Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 15

Thanks for replying. It's a gift from my step father so it means a lot that he got it. I can return mine, but I just wanted to know if it was worth keeping. Like for mixing big orders or different flavors.

pupandbon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pupandbon Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 15

I like having two so that I can mix/bake cakes at the same time I mix icing without having to alternate back and forth. Just works for me!

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:32pm
post #6 of 15

Totally worth it. I let my BC mix for a good 20-30 minutes to get really creamy. By this time I am mixing up batter in another and using a hand mixer in another bowl. Somedays I wish I had more than 2...

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 15

Only down fall I can think of is having both bowls dirty in the sink at the same time. Can you tell I don't like to do dishes? icon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:51pm
post #8 of 15

I have two 6 qt mixers...love it! Sometimes if I have a tiered cake I can make alot of batter at one time (I have three racks in my home oven). Or alot of frosting at one time. Or...you know those customers that want "half chocolate, half vanilla"??? There ya go...make 'em both at the same time.

I also have THREE bowls, so that I don't always have to stop and wash one out if I need to make something else. And three paddles as well.

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:54pm
post #9 of 15

I have 2 that I use all the time at the same time and 3rd stored for backup in case of an emergency breakdown. I can mix 6 batches of cake batter at once - if you are measuring for 1 you might as well measure for 6. And I can make 2 large batches of buttercream at the same time. I made 6 batches of buttercreme last night in about an hour and 15 minutes (Sugarshacks recipe).

Keep them both - I don't think you will regret it.

Suzycakes

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 7:04pm
post #10 of 15

So because they are both cute, shiny and come in a color you can't resist is not a reason? (Cause that's why I have two. I just could not resist that shiny apple red color of the anniversary edition KA. icon_biggrin.gif Shhhhh.....).

Someday I envision using both. I may just mix my frosting in one while doing something else in the the other, like cupcakes! But for now it is under the counter. And when DD gets her own place, she will already have a KA. Too bad she doesn't bake....or cook....I don't think a bowl of cereal or frozen waffles in the toaster oven count.....

And for my new KA, I have two bowls. I decided that if I am going to have a messy hobby then I had better get used to doing the dishes!

I say if you like them both, keep them. But if you don't think you will ever do that much baking, then return the one you have. Take the $200 and buy something else that you want instead.

Nice gift BTW - cool Stepdad!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 7:05pm
post #11 of 15

I have 2 kitchenaids..One 4.5 quart and a 6 quart..I use them both all the time to make double batches of icing!! I would be lost without both.

sberryp Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 7:26pm
post #12 of 15

I was thinking about it and it's really cool to have both. Thanks for all of the ideas and the suggestions. Now I can mix buttercream and mix a cake with no problem. Super excited using them both for the 4th.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 7:28pm
post #13 of 15

Are you really cranking out the cakes? Or would it be just a luxury?

If it was up to me and I had that kind of extra money, you can come close to approximating en extra mixer just by buying extra bowls. If I have all of the ingredients measured, the next one is done mixing in four minutes.

Also, if my choice was an extra mixer or an Agbay, I'd get the Agbay.

sberryp Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 7:35pm
post #14 of 15

The mixer was not that expensive, so I don't know if it's really worth taking back and it means a lot to me to get something from him. If I don't use both it's great for a back up, just in case.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 9:12pm
post #15 of 15

I have 2 mixers (Bosch) and 2 ovens, two handhelds as well, they all get used for one thing or the other, I have extra bowls and beaters as well. It's a good feeling that I know, when one breaks down, I'd still have the other. My dishwasher broke down last week and is still not running, a bummer that I only have one of those. Living out here, always best to have two of everything, just in case. I have proven my point to my hubby, unfortunately I have no space for a scond dishwasher

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%