Fondant Cake Decorating Timeline

Decorating By kger Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 6:16pm by michel30014

kger Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 11

I have never really done fondant before, so I need some advice on the timeline of how things are done.

My plan is a 2 layer torted 12" round. Covered in white bc, black fondant dots, FBCT on top and fondant letters around the side of the cake. Cake board will also be covered in fondant. This is for Sat.

As of this moment, both cakes are baked and cooled and wrapped in cling wrap sitting on the counter. Indydebi's BC made last night, sitting on the counter. MFF made Sunday, sitting on the counter. Cake board cut and awaiting glue.

Can someone please advise me on the timeline of when I should torte and fill and ice. And when I would apply my fondant decorations to the bc, and when I would want to make the letters. Do I need to have the fondant dry at all after the shapes are cut, or do I just roll it out, cut them and stick them on?

I think I'm going to go ahead and make my cakeboard today, or is Wed. too soon for a Sat. cake?

Thanks

10 replies
Joshua_Alan Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 11

Personally, I would do the cake board today, torte and fill on Thursday, ice and deco on Friday.

Joshua_Alan Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 11

BTW, where are you at in Nova? I'm in Bristow.

kger Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 11

Do the fondant cut outs need to dry first or anything?

Joshua_Alan Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:46pm
post #5 of 11

No. If they dry out they're going to be really difficult to work with. It's fine for the fondant to dry on the cake board, but not for the dots or the letters. In my limited experience I've always cut the fondant as I was applying it to the cake.

mustangsallii Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:49pm
post #6 of 11

This is my usual time line for fondant cakes due on a Saturday:

Wednesday make fondant
Thursday bake cakes
Friday fill, ice with bc, cover and decorate in fondant

I like my cakes to be as fresh as possible, however I will not pack my schedule so tight that I have to work on a cake the day it is due. It at least has to be finished the night before. I do all of my shape cutting and overlay while the fondant is soft and plyable.

kger Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:55pm
post #7 of 11

Ok thanks!

jerseygirlNga Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 11

My timeline is similar to mustangs but I do my cake boards 5-6 days ahead...this way, there are no marks or dings.

WelshCakes Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:10pm
post #9 of 11

If you need your fondant letters to be hard for holding shape to stand , make them now so they have time to dry... if you are just laying them on the cake you can cut and apply when decorating. I agree with everyone's time line. I would suggest freezing your cakes until you are ready to tort, fill, and ice... but let them de-thaw before those steps... Good luck!!!

Joshua_Alan Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:14pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshCakes

If you need your fondant letters to be hard for holding shape to stand , make them now so they have time to dry... if you are just laying them on the cake you can cut and apply when decorating. I agree with everyone's time line. I would suggest freezing your cakes until you are ready to tort, fill, and ice... but let them de-thaw before those steps... Good luck!!!

Fair point, I just assumed the letters would be applied directly to the cake.

michel30014 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:16pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_Alan

Personally, I would do the cake board today, torte and fill on Thursday, ice and deco on Friday.

My timeline is more like Joshua's.

Good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%