Pudding In Cake Mix

Baking By yummy Updated 3 Jul 2010 , 8:12pm by GHOST_USER_NAME

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 6

Duncan Hines is the only mix without pudding in it. Can pudding be added to Betty Crocker mixes; what is the outcome of adding pudding to a mix that already has it?

5 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 6

I added pudding to a cake mix with the pudding already in it (it was all I had on hand) and it came out great!

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 6

If I use a cake mix (even if it says that it has pudding in the mix) I always add 1 small box (4 serving size) of the dry pudding mix per box of cake mix. I also add apx. 2/3 cup of sour cream. Just remember that if you add a vanilla pudding mix to a white cake mix, it will turn your cake mix a light yellow. To keep it more white, add a white chocolate pudding mix.

tmelrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmelrose Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 6

Its funny this topic just came up. I had been wondering the same thing. I was just reading from the Chocolate Cake Mix Doctor's book. She says that "you should not use a pudding cake mix when the recipe calls for a package of instant pudding. You should not use a pudding cake mix if the recipe calls for a plain mix and contains a lot of heavy ingredients like sour cream, nut, choc chips because the pudding mix will make the cake even heavier........ also pudding mixes do not rise as much as plain".

Sounds like you can add the extra pudding but doing so makes the cake heavier and wetter.

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 6

I guess that heavier may equate to denser, if so then that is true for me. I'm not sure about the term "wetter" though. Maybe they just mean that the cake is more moist. I like the taste much better with the pudding mix and the sour cream. I do use 1 and 1/2 cakes mixes for an 8 inch, 2 layer cake.

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy

Duncan Hines is the only mix without pudding in it. Can pudding be added to Betty Crocker mixes; what is the outcome of adding pudding to a mix that already has it?

The answer is yes you can and yes I have...when I add pudding I always add a extra egg[4 total]1 cup liquid[water ] and 1/3 cup oil, it is moist but easy to work with. Hope it helps, good luck...I think Mamawrobin does almost the same thing[ don't want to speak for her]but use's less oil, may make it a little more dense , I am not sure , maybe she will see this and that way we will both know for sure....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%