Baking In Glass Pans Vs. Wilton Pans?

Baking By jones5cm Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 6:33pm by jones5cm

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 4

I'm doing a sheet cake this week that requires rounded corners. I thought that rather than carving the corners off cakes baked in my wilton sheet cake pan, I would bake them in a pyrex (glass) casserole dish.
What is the difference in baking times, recipe type, etc. that I should take into consideration before baking in my pyrex dishes? I've never baked a cake in glass beforeicon_smile.gif

3 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:34pm
post #2 of 4

Directions usually say to lower the temp by about 25 degrees when baking in glass. That's about all the help I can be.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:50pm
post #3 of 4

And glass will retain heat longer after you take it out. So it will do a bit of extra cooking on your counter after it's out of the oven. So either flip it out as soon as you think it's safe, or take it out of the oven just before you think it's done, and it will finish cooking while it sits on the counter.

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you for your help pooh and art!! I did this baking last night and I actually did reduce my oven temp to 325; but I didn't realize about the glass retaining heat longer (which does make sense) and you're right! it did. the cake 'shrunk' away from the sides a good bit; I've got a feeling that it be dry and/or tough! Think I'll rebake that layer tonight and use your suggestion of taking it out of the oven early; just to be on the safe side!! thanks again!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%