Flower Opinions Please

Decorating By montanamommy Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 4:21pm by weirkd

montanamommy Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 6

I am doing a wedding cake for a friend in three weeks. She wants a green (I think its called Eucalyptus on the Satin Ice color mix chart http://www.satinfinefoods.com/color.htm ) fondant cake with a black ribbon at the base and black scrollwork.
She wants to put fresh flowers on it, but I'm unsure about what to use. I'm thinking white cala lillies might go well with that color combo. Her wedding colors are green and black.

Any other ideas on what color/type of flower would go well with a cake like this?

5 replies
TexasSugar Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 6

You need to check to see what flowers are safe to put on a cake. I want to say I have read that callas are poisonous.

Marianna46 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 6

For some reason, I couldn't get the color chart to come up on the Satin Ice site, but I have an idea or two, anyway. In the first place, I think the calla lilies would be great for a wedding cake. Magnolias, white roses, other kinds of white lilies (the ones that are open like Easter lilies) or lily-of-the-valley would all be nice on a wedding cake. In fact, any white flower that you could reasonably highlight with a close-to-eucalyptus green petal dust at the base of the petals or in the centers would fo very well, so I'd say it's more a question of what you and the bride like and what you feel like you can do the best job on. Best of luck on turning out a fantastic cake!

ddaigle Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 6

Yepper....Calla Lilies are toxic. Here's a list of the flowers to stay away from.

Calla lily
  Arum lily
  Bird of paradise
  Pink carnation

Marianna46 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 6

Oops, sorry! I kind of skipped over the "fresh" part. I was thinking of gumpaste flowers! I don't remember who it was, but someone posted a long list of flowers and plant parts that are poisonous and shouldn't be used on cakes. A search in the forum posts might bring it up. Just be careful, even with flowers that show no apparent toxicity, to make sure that they've never been exposed to pesticides (or pests, if possible!) and are free of any other contaminants like dust and dirt. Usually, it's a good idea to get flowers for a cake from a reputable florist - even though they cost a mint!

weirkd Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 4:21pm
post #6 of 6

There is a sticky on here posted in the article section I believe, with a list of all the toxic flowers out there. Like the previous post said, get the flowers from a reputable florist, someone that can put flowers on somthing that they wont come in contact with the cake.
You might want to try using gumpaste instead if she is set on the calla lillies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%