Should I Scribe My Pattern Straight After Covering A Cake?

Decorating By lozlg Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 3:16pm by Marianna46

lozlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lozlg Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 6

Hi i am making a wedding cake in a few weeks. Decided to do a practice cake. I made the cake a few days ago, then about 2 days later practiced some patterns on it and while i was scribing, bits of icing around the cake crumbled? I assume it's because i let the fondant dry. Should i scribe my pattern as soon as ive covered the cake? Thanks. Also what is the best way to hide cracks in fondant?. Thanks.

5 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 6

What exactly do you mean by scribing your pattern?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 6

I would do it while it's still fairly soft.

lozlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lozlg Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 6

thankyou. Scribing is when you use a scriber needle to copy a design onto your cake. Then you go over it with icing.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:01pm
post #5 of 6

Ahh okay. Yeah I'd do it when the icing was fresh.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:16pm
post #6 of 6

You need to do it when the icing is fresh to avoid just the situation you described. This is true whether you're using fondant or buttercream (it wasn't clear to me which one you used on your practice cake). And be careful to use more of a punching motion than a dragging motion to avoid dragging your icing or fondant along behind the scriber. I actually prefer to use a straight pin or heavy needle to do this and make a punch every 1/4" or so, but that's because I need to use a pattern drawn on paper to guide me along! If you can do it freehand, I bow down before you!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%