Getting Depressed?

Decorating By judyj2 Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 7:29pm by CrumblesConfections

judyj2 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 8

I get so depressed when I look at all the beautiful cakes you cc'ers do. How do you get the fondant and details so flawless? No matter how hard I try when I make a cake the fondant is bumpy and when I try to cut details out of fondant to place on the cake they get all distorted and full of finger marks. Is it just practice, practice, practice or is it a natural born nack that some people have and some haven't got icon_sad.gif

7 replies
erin12345 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 8

Have you taken a class on working with fondant? It helps a lot to learn from someone experienced, some of the techniques for handling fondant and also what tools are useful when working with it. After that, it's just practice.

aundron Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 8

It's practice, practice, practice!! and throw in a couple of cake classes here and there!! icon_smile.gif

With the fondant details, for me, I let them dry a little bit before I apply to the cake. I used to do it immediately after I cut them but of course, they would be wrinkly with finger prints.

As far as covering a cake with fondant; I found something on youtube that helped a little bit, but what really helped me was taking a class at a cake decorating supply store.

Hope this helps a little!!

all4cake Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 8

Don't get discouraged...I've been decorating for over 30 years (pushing 40 actually), and I still ain't got it. The older I get, the less I'm stressin' and it seems the more they're being appreciated by their recipients. It's not that I don't care what my cakes look like...I do...rahlly I do's just that after so many years of freaking out over schit that I notice that no one else seems to see, has got me throwing my hands up...."geez, if you people can't see thaaaaaaat.....!"

Focus on the base/undercoat of icing, the consistency of your fondant. I've noticed that when my fondant is too soft, I maul the heck out it...stretch it, mush it...oh, it's ugly if the fondant is too soft....

indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:50pm
post #5 of 8

Judy, dont' get depressed. I'd been making cakes for 25 years when I found CC and *I* felt pitiful when I saw the awesome cakes on here, too! I'm thinking to myself, "Self, you got some nerve calling yourself a cake decorator, compared to THESE cakes!" icon_redface.gif

Just try one new thing with each cake and you'll be amazed at how fast your skills build up. thumbs_up.gif

tracycakes Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 8

Ditto! It seems every weekend I get depressed over cakes because they're not coming out right. But the customer loves them and they turn out alright after all. I try to take downtime in orders to practice things. I like to do competitions not because I expect to win anything, but because I learn so much while working on them. It's all about practice.

judyj2 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:11pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for all your encouragement and advice. I have taken the wilton classes, but as you say, I guess it is a matter of practise. It's mainly the fondant thing I guess. I have watched several good you tube tutorials but I still have trouble. How thick should the buttercream be under the fondant. Is it just a crumb coat or do you ice the cake just thick enough to cover all traces of the cake. My fondant is always bumpy on top no matter how much I try to smooth it. Is this because the buttercream is too thick or dry. Is it better to mist the buttercream first?

CrumblesConfections Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 7:29pm
post #8 of 8

I've only been making cakes for about 3 years and I continually stress over what I don't know (which is plenty). I LIVE on Youtube and I troll the forums a lot. I'm my own worst critic. My husband tells me that he only sees the mistakes when I point them out. It's practice, practice, practice though. I still can't write with icing and I've committed to practicing at least 3 times a week now to master it. But, Youtube is the best for me and CC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%