Transporting Cakes For 14 Hours!

Decorating By Aeropanda Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 5:30pm by LindaF144a

Aeropanda Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 5

This may seem like an impossible attempt, but I want to take a couple of small cakes to my niece and nephew when we visit them in Illinois. I live in Georgia, and we will be driving up next week. Their birthdays are a month apart, and we only get to see them for one week each year. Before they moved, my mother always made them special birthday cakes each year. I wanted to make a couple of very small cakes, a basketball and a purse, to share with them, as I have been making all these cakes for other people and wanted to do something special.
Is this completely out of the realm of possibility, or is there a way to do this? We'll be stopping over night half way, and I know to keep them cool. I was thinking of putting them in a cake taker and putting those in an ice chest with the frozen blue gel things to keep them cool. I'll stop rambling now, and just wait for suggestions and/or criticisms. Thanks!

4 replies
CakesbyCarla Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 5

Are your cakes going to be BC or fondant? Fondant really helps keep things stable when transporting and it holds up to warmer weather better too.

I had to transport a large cake in the trunk of my neon for 3 hours, including insane traffic though downtown Dallas (very bumpy roads BTW - lots of construction) and everything stayed in place.

I know your drive is farther, but if the cakes are small and structured well (maybe wait to add little details that could fall off until after you get there) I think you'd be fine. Even just keeping them inside the car in the AC would keep them cool enough.

I think your idea about the cooler or gel thingies works too. I think your greatest efforts should go toward giving the cakes proper structure/support and a comfy place to ride that will keep them safe.

Best of luck!

panipuri Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 5

How about some dry ice in the cooler?
That would keep them really cool and they should stay well. Make sure the cake taker thing fits in the cooler first - or you can figure out rubbermaid containers upside down _( lid down) that would fit and make the cakes to fit the container. ( rather than the container to fit the cake)
Hope you find a way!

sweetartbakery Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 5

I transport larger wedding cakes and carved cakes all the time!! I just make sure they are in AC. I would think the cooler might be a disaster. it might get slippy with condensation..maybe... and not only would the cake slide around if not braced, but it may get over moist. Of course, that depends on how you packed it!. I have never had an issue driving with them simply in the back of the car. one trick I learned to elimate a lot of sliding was to flip over a car mat and set the box on the rubber part. it doesn't budge. just don't slam on the breaks!! if you look in my pics, the tea pot cake was a 7 hour journey. many of the others were 4-5 hour trips.

LindaF144a Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 5

I watched an old Challenge show about a cake show in OK in 2005. Kerry vincent was not a judge yet. The winner was from PA and drove to OK with her cake. I think she took it into her hotel room at night, because they showed shots of her working on the cake.

On of the shots they took of her driving with the cake, they had put up those silver reflective windshields things you put up on the front of your windshield. They had them totally lining the back of their Subaru outback. I'm sure AC and that on the windows, the back of the car and cake stayed nice and cool.

I can't remember what they are called, windshield screens? Protectors? reflectors? Something like that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%