skinnyminx Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:13pm

hi ive recently started decorating cakes at first i was buying the cakes and then decorating them as i was egar to start. i now have settled down to learn how to bake them myself...HOLY GOD i never thought it would be this hard.. ive tried loads and loads tried 6 8 9 inch cake tins and silicone tins. but they never work... please has anyone any fool proof methods. if i could just get a simple spunge recipie for each inch cake id be happy...an tips on getting them out easy icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

18 replies
KristyCakes Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:23pm

Are you coating the tins? I use the baking spray flour and it works beautifully. And, I turn the cakes out onto a wire rack so that I don't have to handle them hot - keeps them from breaking. Good luck.

michel30014 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:35pm

Another suggestion: This is what I do:

Coat your tins with shortening very well and then coat with all purpose flour before you add your cake batter. Once baked, let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then I use a butter knife to gently lift the corners (just to be sure it's not sticking) and then use my hands to turn it out onto a wire rack for cooling the rest of the way.

Hope this helps!!

lisamenz Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:38pm

Be generous with your baking spray. I mean generous, coat those pans alot. I use Pam with flour spray or Baker's Joy. Have for years. I don't ever have any problems with my cakes ever coming out of the pans or sticking. I actually take them right out of the oven and flip them onto my cooling racks. Spray them and then take your hands and work the spray into your pan really well. Good luck icon_wink.gif

becky4444 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:41pm

I always line the bottoms with greaseproof paper and then use the baking spray around the side to make sure they slide right out. Id definitely agree with letting them stand in the tins though

Aeropanda Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:41pm

I use the Baking Pam. And I've yet to have problems.

Kimmers971 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:42pm

I use Wilton Cake Release, but like the others said the baking sprays also work. Also line the bottom of each pan with wax paper. I don't cool my cakes at all in the pan, I flip onto a cooling rack as soon as it's out of the oven. Doesn't give it time to stick.

Babykay Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:42pm

I use a mixture in my pans of 1/3 shortening, 1/3 flour and 1/3 oil and I just make sure that every part is covered.

Karen421 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:45pm

I have never had any luck with the silicone kind. The metal/ Aluminum kind, grease them up really well and you can also use parchment paper or wax paper to line the bottom. Wait about 10 minutes or so and then you will be able to turn them out on to your cooling racks.

Elcee Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:45pm

Since I started lining my pans with parchment paper I never have trouble with sticking. Here's what I do:

Trace the pan in pencil on your parchment paper
Cut out circle, being sure to cut off ALL the pencil
Grease sides and bottom of the pan (or at least about 2 inches around the edge of the bottom)
Lay paper smoothly in bottom of pan
Proceed as normal

I don't use any flour, I take the cake out of the pan after cooling for 10 minutes, and remove the paper as soon as I take the cake out of the pan. Usually the sides need to be loosened a bit with a butter knife or small spatula. Some people use waxed paper instead of parchment. I've never used them but I haven't heard good things about silicone pans.

Good luck and have fun baking!

Doug Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:56pm

hint on flipping.

put cooling rack on top of pan.

hold both together tightly.

turn over.

put rack on counter

lift off pan.

(only caveat --- be sure cake does not have a HIGH dome or it will crack -- push dome down)

----

ditto to use of cake release and turning out almost immediately.

---

also, I often put wax paper over top of cake so it won't stick to cooling rack.

and -- depending upon cake

after turning out onto cooling rack (cake is upside down) -- put second rack on top of cake and flip over one more time so cake is cooling right side up.

I never try to manipulate the warm cake with bare hands.

----

and if I know I'm going to freeze it ---

while fresh out of pan and on rack -- I lay several pieces (usually 2, sometimes 3 or more depending on cake) of plastic warp over cake -- all large enough they fully wrap cake and also aluminum foil the same way.

then I put the pan back over the cake (shape plastic wrap and foil to bottom and sides of cake) and the holding rack and pan with cake back inside together tightly, flip back over so cake in pan.

the I pull the plastic wrap tight, and follow with same for foil.

Then i take it now fully wrapped out of pan and allow to cool until just warm on the cooling rack. Then into the freezer.

artscallion Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:09pm

Always use shortening and flour or a release mix that has flour in it. The flour will increase the height of your cakes as it gives the batter something rough to "climb" up, instead of struggling to rise up a slippery pan side. Never grease with butter as it tends to leaves spots that the flour doesn't stick to.

My process is to coat the entire inside of the pan with shortening, place waxed paper in bottom only. Coat waxed paper with shortening. coat entire inside with flour. Tap over trash to get rid of excess flour. If you're using a flour nail, place it in the pan before you put the waxed paper in. Then place the waxed paper over it, with the nail poking through. This way, when you flip the cake out, the nail base is never stuck in the cake.

Silicone pans are useless.

Marianna46 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:21pm

These are all great tips for getting your cake out of the pan in one piece. The only thing I would add is that you should always use shortening or baking release to grease your pans with. Never use butter or margarine, because after a while, all your pans will have a rancid smell that you will have a hard time getting rid of.

luddroth Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:32pm

Interesting! I never knew there were so many methods. I use the Toba Garrett/Martha Stewart method: generously butter the pans, line the bottom with parchment cut to fit, butter the parchment, let cakes cool completely in the pans, run a thin-bladed knife around the edges, put cooling rack or plate over the pan, invert the pan, peel off the parchment. No flour. I've never had a cake stick or break.

angelogoo Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:35pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

hint on flipping.

put cooling rack on top of pan.

hold both together tightly.

turn over.

put rack on counter

lift off pan.

(only caveat --- be sure cake does not have a HIGH dome or it will crack -- push dome down)

----

ditto to use of cake release and turning out almost immediately.

---

also, I often put wax paper over top of cake so it won't stick to cooling rack.

and -- depending upon cake

after turning out onto cooling rack (cake is upside down) -- put second rack on top of cake and flip over one more time so cake is cooling right side up.

I never try to manipulate the warm cake with bare hands.

----

and if I know I'm going to freeze it ---

while fresh out of pan and on rack -- I lay several pieces (usually 2, sometimes 3 or more depending on cake) of plastic warp over cake -- all large enough they fully wrap cake and also aluminum foil the same way.

then I put the pan back over the cake (shape plastic wrap and foil to bottom and sides of cake) and the holding rack and pan with cake back inside together tightly, flip back over so cake in pan.

the I pull the plastic wrap tight, and follow with same for foil.

Then i take it now fully wrapped out of pan and allow to cool until just warm on the cooling rack. Then into the freezer.




Thanks a bunch. Those are really very good tips. I dont get my cakes stuck in the pans but i see that they stick to the cooling racks and i never even thought of putting a paper down first ...doh!!! Also ran out of time a few days ago and put a slightly warm cake in the freezer and thought i was doing something bad, didnt know its actually good to do that. Any reasons??

Thanks again.

Doug Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:03pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelogoo

Also ran out of time a few days ago and put a slightly warm cake in the freezer and thought i was doing something bad, didnt know its actually good to do that. Any reasons??

Thanks again.




many agree (tho' not all) that it make the cake more moist and firmer and tastier.

Karen421 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:23pm

I agree! thumbs_up.gif

skinnyminx Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:45pm

so you all dont think its anything to do with my recipie cos thats what i was thinking it was?? im dyin to go home an cook another ... never knew that flour inside pan would make it rise higher interesting...

artscallion Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:37pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyminx

... never knew that flour inside pan would make it rise higher interesting...




Yes, as opposed to things like bread, which you never use flour for because you want them to slide up the side of the pan without attaching to it at all. Cake batter won't slide up the surface. It clings to it as it rises. So, if it has a rough surface, it makes it easier for the batter to climb without fighting gravity which wants it to slide down a slippery surface.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%